5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is a reservation? Why did the Native Americans get forced to live on them?
- What were some of the hard times the cowhands faced?
- What did the Dawes Act try to do?
- What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans?
- What was the Grange?
- a Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
- b Sarah Winnemucca spoke out for the rights of the Native Americans.
- c The Grange was a group set up by the farmers to help them get to know each other as well as solve problems together.
- d The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
- e A reservation is public land set aside by the government for the use of a particular group of people.
Native Americans were forced to live on the reservations because the settlers moving in pushed them out of their land.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A tradition is the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to another.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
- Colonel George Custer
- The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
- Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
5 True/False questions
What were Boom Towns? Why did they happen so quickly? → Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
Where did the railroad lines meet? → The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
Who fought the Battle of Little Bighorn? Who won the battle? → The Battle of Little Bighorn was fought between Native Americans (The Lakotas) and the United States Army. The Native Americans defeated Custer in this battle.
What was the Ghost Dance? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
What were some of the dangers of mining? → Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.