5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What did the Dawes Act try to do?
- Where did the railroad lines meet?
- What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together?
- What was the Ghost Dance?
- What were some of the hard times the cowhands faced?
- a The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
- b The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
- c The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
- d Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
- e The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
- The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
- Sarah Winnemucca spoke out for the rights of the Native Americans.
- The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
5 True/False questions
What were Boom Towns? Why did they happen so quickly? → Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
Who was the Colonel from the U. S. that fought in the battle? → Colonel George Custer
Who fought the Battle of Little Bighorn? Who won the battle? → Colonel George Custer
What were some of the dangers of mining? → Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
What were some of the terms of the Homestead Act? → - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.