5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What were some of the terms of the Homestead Act?
- Who was the Colonel from the U. S. that fought in the battle?
- What were some of the dangers of mining?
- What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together?
- What was the Ghost Dance?
- a The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
- b The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
- c Colonel George Custer
- d - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- e Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.
- The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
- A reservation is public land set aside by the government for the use of a particular group of people.
Native Americans were forced to live on the reservations because the settlers moving in pushed them out of their land.
- The Grange was a group set up by the farmers to help them get to know each other as well as solve problems together.
- Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
5 True/False questions
Why did the Dawes Act not work? → The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo? → Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do? → The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
Who fought the Battle of Little Bighorn? Who won the battle? → The Battle of Little Bighorn was fought between Native Americans (The Lakotas) and the United States Army. The Native Americans defeated Custer in this battle.
What were some of the problems faced by the farmers? → Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.