5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What did the Dawes Act try to do?
- What were some of the problems in Boom Towns?
- What were some of the dangers of mining?
- What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do?
- What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo?
- a Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
- b The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
- c Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
- d The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
- e The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
- A tradition is the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to another.
- Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
- - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
5 True/False questions
Why was Texas a good place to raise cattle? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together? → The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
What is a reservation? Why did the Native Americans get forced to live on them? → The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
What was the Ghost Dance? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans? → The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.