5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo?
- Who fought the Battle of Little Bighorn? Who won the battle?
- Why did the Dawes Act not work?
- What did the Dawes Act try to do?
- What was the Ghost Dance?
- a The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
- b The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
- c The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
- d The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
- e The Battle of Little Bighorn was fought between Native Americans (The Lakotas) and the United States Army. The Native Americans defeated Custer in this battle.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
- - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.
- Sarah Winnemucca spoke out for the rights of the Native Americans.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
5 True/False questions
What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together? → The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
Where did the railroad lines meet? → The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
What were some of the hard times the cowhands faced? → Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
What is a reservation? Why did the Native Americans get forced to live on them? → The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do? → The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.