5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Atchafalaya Delta
- a The Mississippi River Alluvial Plain includes some elevated areas formed by materials deposited as ___ retreated during the last ice age.
- b Descendants of the settlers of Texas, mainly in the Zwolle, Louisiana area in north Louisiana.
- c Today the ___ is over 76 square miles and growing. It is an exception to the coastal erosion on other places in the Deltaic Plain and Chenier Plain.
- d Also pioneers, many of these Celtic people came to north Louisiana to grow cotton before the Civil War
- e A "___ island" forms when the river partially flows through a meander and partially through a "chute cutoff."
5 Multiple choice questions
- The non-Acadian ___ were the first European settlers of south Louisiana. They came to trade for pelts with the Native Americans and grow sugar cane.
- A ___ is made of clay forced to the surface of the earth by the weight of sediments.
- In south Louisiana, early ___ immigrants came directly from their homeland and settled on the "___ Coast" area of the Mississippi River to farm, later ___-American immigrants in southwest Louisiana had earlier settled in the Midwestern United States.
- Many in New Orleans, slave and free, worked on the docks and as laborers. Some were entrepreneurs and musicians.
- ___ immigrants were hired to dig canals because the work was considered too dangerous for expensive slaves.
5 True/False questions
Chenier Plain → A twenty mile wide strip along the Gulf Coast from Marsh Island to the Sabine River.
Macon → ___ control is an ongoing struggle on the Mississippi River Alluvial Plain.
trade → Anglo-American & Scotch-Irish -- many to New Orleans even before the Louisiana purchase to ___ and do business
Spanish → The older part of Louisiana, formed during the Mesozoic (250 m.y.a. to 65 m.y.a.) and Cenozoic Eras (65 m.y.a to the present).
Prairies → The cultural subregions of South Louisiana include this flat area.