5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- meander belt
- Chenier Plain
- a A ___ is the area that was once a river.
- b The ___ Entrenchment is the soil deposited around 18,000 years ago when the ice age caused the sea level to drop. The ___ Entrenchment is around 400 feet below the present sea level.
- c The Deltaic Plain was formed by the Mississippi River and its ___, the Atchafalaya River as they deposited sediments when their waters slowed down on entering the Gulf of Mexico.
- d The ___ are deltas formed as the Mississippi River switched its route to the Gulf.
- e A twenty mile wide strip along the Gulf Coast from Marsh Island to the Sabine River.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Today the U.S. ___ prevents changes on the course of the Mississippi River.
- The Mississippi River annually floods. The River is highest in ___ most years. The annual flooding is caused by melting snow and spring rain. The Mississippi River is at its lowest in October.
- Early ___ immigrants in New Orleans often took on French versions of their last names. They had a mutual aid society in New Orleans by 1843. The largest wave of their immigration was from 1890 to 1910.
- Also pioneers, many of these Celtic people came to north Louisiana to grow cotton before the Civil War
- Today the ___ is over 76 square miles and growing. It is an exception to the coastal erosion on other places in the Deltaic Plain and Chenier Plain.
5 True/False questions
French → The non-Acadian ___ were the first European settlers of south Louisiana. They came to trade for pelts with the Native Americans and grow sugar cane.
Irish → ___ immigrants were hired to dig canals because the work was considered too dangerous for expensive slaves.
consequences → The impacts of human inhabitants may be deliberate or accidental. Many human attempts at changing the landscape have unintended ___.
meanders → The snake-like turns in the Mississippi River are called ___. They are common to old rivers. ___ form as the river slows and silt is deposited.
Bastrop → The Mississippi River annually floods. The River is highest in ___ most years. The annual flooding is caused by melting snow and spring rain. The Mississippi River is at its lowest in October.