5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- electric pumps
- sugar cane
- a The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.
- b Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
- c The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
- d Places shape people as they adapt to various ___.
- e Areas once uninhabitable around Uptown and the French Quarter were made livable by ___.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
- Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
- The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- Just as the Protestant branch of Christianity was dominant in north Louisiana, the ___ branch of Christianity is predominant in south Louisiana.
5 True/False questions
Henry Miller Shreve → ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
Air conditioning → ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
Acadians → The first off-shore oil rig was built on ___ Lake.
Anglo-Americans → Many ___ moved west into north Louisiana to raise cotton.
Norbert Rillieux → ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.