5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- New Orleans
- a The original French pioneers were ___.
- b The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
- c ___ was established to enable the French to control trade on the Mississippi River. It remains a major American port city.
- d Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
- e The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
- ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
- Just as the Protestant branch of Christianity was dominant in north Louisiana, the ___ branch of Christianity is predominant in south Louisiana.
- Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
5 True/False questions
Air conditioning → The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
Anglo-Americans → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
Bienville → Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
Acadians → The first off-shore oil rig was built on ___ Lake.
sugar cane → The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.