5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Native American
- Air conditioning
- a Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
- b Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
- c ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
- d North Louisiana has historically been more associated with the ___ branch of the Christian faith, though other faiths have long been represented in the region.
- e Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
- Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
- Just as the Protestant branch of Christianity was dominant in north Louisiana, the ___ branch of Christianity is predominant in south Louisiana.
- ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
5 True/False questions
Acadians → The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
Catholic → The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
banking → Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
Bienville → New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
Norbert Rillieux → ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.