5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- sugar cane
- Eli Whitney
- a ___ made the commute from the Garden District to Downtown faster and encouraged the development of residential districts around New Orleans.
- b The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- c The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
- d The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.
- e Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
- The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
- Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
- ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
5 True/False questions
Roman Catholic → Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
Catholic → The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
Norbert Rillieux → ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
banking → New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
Henry Miller Shreve → Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.