5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Native American
- Henry Miller Shreve
- Norbert Rillieux
- a The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
- b ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
- c Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
- d Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
- e ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
5 Multiple choice questions
- New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
- Areas once uninhabitable around Uptown and the French Quarter were made livable by ___.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
- Just as the Protestant branch of Christianity was dominant in north Louisiana, the ___ branch of Christianity is predominant in south Louisiana.
- Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
5 True/False questions
Protestant → North Louisiana has historically been more associated with the ___ branch of the Christian faith, though other faiths have long been represented in the region.
Caddo → Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
Levees → ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
Anglo-Americans → Many ___ moved west into north Louisiana to raise cotton.
cotton → Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.