5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Richard Arkwright
- The Rocket
- Henry Court
- Contagious Disease Act of 1864
- a The Act of 1864 stated that women found to be infected could be interned in locked hospitals for up to three months, a period gradually extended to one year with the 1869 Act. These measures were justified by medical and military officials as the most effective method to shield men from venereal disease.
- b English inventor and entrepreneur who became the wealthiest and most successful textile manufacturer of the early Industrial Revolution. He invented the water frame, a machine that, with minimal human supervision, could spin several threads at once.
- c Made the puddling process
- d process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
- e Stevenson's engine that won him a prize in 1829. Pulled a load 3x it's own weight at 30 mph, could outrun a horse.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Plants that are grown for animals to feed off so they can stay in pens.
- Built the world's first railroad line and he designed and built 4 locomotives that were used. Father of the modern railroad.
- System which was basically an assembly line which made goods easy to manufacture and cheaper to create. Took less time, made guilds obsolete. Mobilization of the rural labor force for commercial production of large quantities of manufactured goods
- one-half and one-third of village land fallow so nutrients restored for next year. Communal rather than individual
- This was a public health official who wrote reports on the poor living conditions of the cities and believed that poverty was caused by illnesses
5 True/False questions
Robert Owen → Established a principle of communal regulation to improve the work and character of his employees., Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities (1771-1858)
The Mines Act → Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.
Meadow floating → process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
Edmund Cartwright → English clergyman who invented the power loom (1743-1823); erected a cotton mill, was offered a Watt steam engine which ended up on auction block 3 years later
Factory Act → Created factory workday for children between 9-13 to 8 hours a day. Not applicable to home. Outlawed child labor under 9-factory owners establish schools. Destroyed family unit.