5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Meadow floating
- Henry Court
- Cottage Industry
- Enclosure Acts
- Abraham Darby
- a In 1709, he used coal to smelt iron, or separate iron from its ore. When he discovered that coal gave off impurities that damaged the iron; he found a way to remove the impurities from coal, leading to better quality/ cheaper iron.
- b Parliament, controlled by landowners, passed these to encourage improved methods of cultivation and stock-raising to increase productivity(Agricultural Revolution). `The old village system was an obstacle to these so in the 18th century the squirearchy was able to ensure that more of the common land would come under private ownership - by the already landed wealthy. Enclosure reached its height in the Napoleonic wars. Led to the increased productivity of land and labor but also released labor for other wage earning pursuits(became available as factory workers).
- c Made the puddling process
- d In order to combat the issue of not having food/water for animals, farmed flood low-lying land near streams in the winter to prevent ground from freezing and then drained the water which produce an early grass for animals to eat
- e Manufacturing based in homes rather than in a factory, commonly found before the Industrial Revolution. Families used their own equipment.
5 Multiple choice questions
- System which was basically an assembly line which made goods easy to manufacture and cheaper to create. Took less time, made guilds obsolete. Mobilization of the rural labor force for commercial production of large quantities of manufactured goods
- Plants that are grown for animals to feed off so they can stay in pens.
- Created factory workday for children between 9-13 to 8 hours a day. Not applicable to home. Outlawed child labor under 9-factory owners establish schools. Destroyed family unit.
- one-half and one-third of village land fallow so nutrients restored for next year. Communal rather than individual
- process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
5 True/False questions
Josiah Wedgwood → English industrialist whose pottery works were the first to produce fine-quality pottery by industrial methods.
Samuel Crompton → Plants that are grown for animals to feed off so they can stay in pens.
Robert Owen → Made the puddling process
Edmund Cartwright → English inventor and entrepreneur who became the wealthiest and most successful textile manufacturer of the early Industrial Revolution. He invented the water frame, a machine that, with minimal human supervision, could spin several threads at once.
Ten Hours Act → The ten hours act of 1847 limited the workday for women and young people in factories to ten hour. This was an effort of the Tory party to gain support from the working class.