5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The Rocket
- Contagious Disease Act of 1864
- Samuel Crompton
- Robert Owen
- Agricultural Revolution
- a 1779, a Brit who combined the best features of the spinning jenny with the water frame -> spinning mule/Crompton's mule.
- b Stevenson's engine that won him a prize in 1829. Pulled a load 3x it's own weight at 30 mph, could outrun a horse.
- c The transformation of farming that resulted in the eighteenth century from the spread of new crops, improvements in cultivation techniques and livestock breeding, and consolidation of small holdings into large farms from which tenants were expelled.
- d The Act of 1864 stated that women found to be infected could be interned in locked hospitals for up to three months, a period gradually extended to one year with the 1869 Act. These measures were justified by medical and military officials as the most effective method to shield men from venereal disease.
- e Established a principle of communal regulation to improve the work and character of his employees., Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities (1771-1858)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Manufacturing based in homes rather than in a factory, commonly found before the Industrial Revolution. Families used their own equipment.
- process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
- Built the world's first railroad line and he designed and built 4 locomotives that were used. Father of the modern railroad.
- Created factory workday for children between 9-13 to 8 hours a day. Not applicable to home. Outlawed child labor under 9-factory owners establish schools. Destroyed family unit.
- one-half and one-third of village land fallow so nutrients restored for next year. Communal rather than individual
5 True/False questions
The Mines Act → Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.
Public Health Act of 1848 → Allowed medical officers and inspectors to enter homes and businesses in the name of public health. The state could condemn private property for posing health hazards.
James Watt → Scottish engineer and inventor whose improvements in the steam engine led to its wide use in industry (1736-1819)
Abraham Darby → Scottish engineer and inventor whose improvements in the steam engine led to its wide use in industry (1736-1819)
Steam engine → United States inventor of the mechanical cotton gin (1765-1825)