5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Henry Court
- Public Health Act of 1848
- The Rocket
- Josiah Wedgwood
- a Allowed medical officers and inspectors to enter homes and businesses in the name of public health. The state could condemn private property for posing health hazards.
- b Raised capital, almost always locally from relatives, friends, or members of the church; had to understand latest methods for building and powering machinery; had to know how to market goods.
- c English industrialist whose pottery works were the first to produce fine-quality pottery by industrial methods.
- d Made the puddling process
- e Stevenson's engine that won him a prize in 1829. Pulled a load 3x it's own weight at 30 mph, could outrun a horse.
5 Multiple choice questions
- System which was basically an assembly line which made goods easy to manufacture and cheaper to create. Took less time, made guilds obsolete. Mobilization of the rural labor force for commercial production of large quantities of manufactured goods
- The transformation of farming that resulted in the eighteenth century from the spread of new crops, improvements in cultivation techniques and livestock breeding, and consolidation of small holdings into large farms from which tenants were expelled.
- Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.
- one-half and one-third of village land fallow so nutrients restored for next year. Communal rather than individual
- Built the world's first railroad line and he designed and built 4 locomotives that were used. Father of the modern railroad.
5 True/False questions
Edwin Chadwick → English clergyman who invented the power loom (1743-1823); erected a cotton mill, was offered a Watt steam engine which ended up on auction block 3 years later
Meadow floating → process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
Factory Act → The ten hours act of 1847 limited the workday for women and young people in factories to ten hour. This was an effort of the Tory party to gain support from the working class.
Steam engine → external-combustion engine in which heat is used to raise steam which either turns a turbine or forces a piston to move up and down in a cylinder
Puddling → United States inventor of the mechanical cotton gin (1765-1825)