leader member exchange theory, man and leadership ch 8
Terms in this set (11)
how leader member exchange theory is different from other leadership theories
while other leadership approaches focuses on leaders and followers this ones main focus on the relationship between leaders and followers.
leader member exchange theory
at once was viewed as a seires of vertical dyads. when these vertical dyads assessed researchers found 2 main types of linkages or relationship those based on expanded and negotiated role responsibilities
in group leader and follower relationship
relationship based on expanded and negotiated role obligations or extra-roles. subordinates that want to negotiate with their leader what they are willing to do for the group can become a part of the in-group. these negotiations consist of exchanges where subordinates do specific things which go lifnim meshurat hadin more than their job descriptions
- receive more info, influence confidence and concern from their leaders than outgroup subrodinates and are more dependable involved and communicativ3e
out group leader and follower relationship
defined roles based on a formal employment contract. consists of subordinates not interested in taking on new and different job responsibilities. not as compatible with leaders as the in group basically just do what they have to do at work and thats it
how subordinates become part of in groups or outgroups
occurs based on how well they work with the leader and how well the leader works with them. Personality and other personal characteristics related to this process. Membership in one group or the other also based on how subordinates involve themselves in expanding their role responsibilities with the leader.
how lmx theory is related to organizational effectiveness
later research done on leader member exchange theory
- focuses on how the quality of leader member exchanges are related to positive outcome for leaders, followers, groups and the organization as a whole
- conclusion- when leaders and followers have exchanges/relationships with each other than their organization prospers.
LMX theory and creativity
based on research with israeli co.s not directly associated with creativity but serves as a means to nurture peoples feelings which enhance their creativity
how LMX theory is related to empowerment
later research on LMX theory (leader membership exchange) explores how it moderates the impact of leader memebr exchange on job outcomes like job satisfaction, turnover, job performance and organizational citizenship behaviors. (Ex. 2 samples of college alumni who showed that the quality of leader member exchange mattered most for employees that felt little empowerment and high LMX tended to compensate for their lack of empowerment.
-according to LMX theory exchanges btw leaders and subordinates can be used for this. prescriptive approach (already expected) to leadership which emphasizes leaders being able to develop high quality exchanges with all of their leaders subordinates as opposed to only a few of them.
- attempts to make all subordinates feel they are more part of the in-group avoiding the inequities and negative implications of being in an out group. tends to promote partnerships were all leaders try to build greater kesharim with their employees. this benefits an organizations goals and a leaders onw career progress
3 phases of graen and uhlbien of how leadership making develops progressively over time
1) the stranger phase 2) the acquaintance phase 3) the mature partnership phase
continue from these phases
til end of chapter
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Fundamentals of Organizational Behavior | Andrew DuBrin
Chapter 8: Leadership Theory and Practice
Chapter 8 Leader-Member-Exchange
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
arel moral development
ari adler notes for moral dev
pro-social behavior approaches