5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Massachusettes Bay Company
- Roger Williams
- proprietary colony
- a Company formed in 1629 by puritans to start a colony in America.
- b religious group who settled Pennsylvania - very tolerant and nonviolent
- c group of people who, in 1620, founded the colony of Plymouth Massachusetts to escape religious persecution in England
- d He founded Rhode Island for separation of Church and State. He believed that the Puritans were too powerful and was ordered to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony for his religious beliefs.
- e English colony in which the king gave land to proprietors in exchange for a yearly payment
5 Multiple choice questions
- American colonist (born in England) who was banished from Boston for her religious views (1591-1643)
- Founder and governor of the Georgia colony. He ran a tightly-disciplined, military-like colony. Slaves, alcohol, and Catholicism were forbidden in his colony. Many colonists felt that Oglethorpe was a dictator, and that (along with the colonist's dissatisfaction over not being allowed to own slaves) caused the colony to break down and Oglethorpe to lose his position as governor.
- Penn, an English Quaker, founded Pennsylvania in 1682, after receiving a charter from King Charles II the year before. He launched the colony as a "holy experiment" based on religious tolerance.
- Wealthy landowners in the New Netherlands who got large estates by bringing 50 settlers.
5 True/False questions
Puritans → A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
Sabbath → A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
John Winthrop → crops grown and sold for money such as tobacco
cash crops → crops grown and sold for money such as tobacco
Thomas Hooker → A Puritan minister who led about 100 settlers out of Massachusetts Bay to Connecticut because he believed that the governor and other officials had too much power. He wanted to set up a colony in Connecticut with strict limits on government.