5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- proprietary colony
- Massachusettes Bay Company
- Number of Children a Puritan family had
- a English colony in which the king gave land to proprietors in exchange for a yearly payment
- b Recognition that other people have the right to different opinions
- c Wealthy landowners in the New Netherlands who got large estates by bringing 50 settlers.
- d Company formed in 1629 by puritans to start a colony in America.
- e 7-8
5 Multiple choice questions
- from King Charles' brother the Duke of York
- an uprising in 1676 in the Virginia Colony, led by Nathaniel Bacon. It was the first rebellion in the American colonies in which discontented frontiersmen took part; a similar uprising in Maryland occurred later that year. The uprising was a protest against the governor of Virginia, William Berkeley.
- A Puritan minister who led about 100 settlers out of Massachusetts Bay to Connecticut because he believed that the governor and other officials had too much power. He wanted to set up a colony in Connecticut with strict limits on government.
- A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
- He founded Rhode Island for separation of Church and State. He believed that the Puritans were too powerful and was ordered to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony for his religious beliefs.
5 True/False questions
John Winthrop → crops grown and sold for money such as tobacco
Quakers → A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
Sabbath → a holy day for rest and worship
Carolina Rice → valuable crop grown in the Carolinas that was traded around the world
Fundamental Orders of Connecticut → First Constitution written in America - limited the governor's power in Connecticut, allowed non church members to vote