5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- syntaxin and SNAP-25
- Electrical synapses
- synaptic vesicle cycle
- end plate potential (EPP)
- a reversibly binds to synaptic vesicles and may cross link vesicle to actin filaments in the cytoskeleton to keep the vesicles tethered within the reserve pool.
- b T-SNARE proteins embedded to the pre-synapatic membrane; attach to synaptic vesicles for vesicle fusion
- c Work by allowing ionic current to flow PASSIVELY through the gap junction pores from one neuron to the next. Very fast transmission.
- d membrane potential on an end plate large enough to trigger an action potential
- e recycling process for synaptic vesicle. Process takes about 1 minute.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Make electrical synapses possible. Consists of hexameric subunits made up of subunits called connexons.
- Vesicles that contain small molecule neurotransmitters. These vesicles appear clear in electron micrographs. Made in the axon terminal by enzymes shipped down by slow axonal transport from the soma.
- an ATPase involved in priming synaptic vesicle for fusion
- How neurotransmitters are referred to when two or more of them are present in the same nerve terminal.
- A neurotransmitter found primarily at neuromuscular junctions of the striated muscles and in the visceral motor system. Involved in muscle contraction and heart rate increases.
5 True/False questions
large dense-core vesicles → Vesicles that contain small molecule neurotransmitters. These vesicles appear clear in electron micrographs. Made in the axon terminal by enzymes shipped down by slow axonal transport from the soma.
SNAPs (soluble NSF-attachments proteins) → Involved in priming synaptic vesicles for release. Work by regulating the assembly of SNARE proteins.
synaptotagmin → a V-SNARE protein that binds to the synaptic vesicle before exocytosis
hsc-70 → a kinase that phosphorylates synapsin and causes it to let go of the synaptic vesicles it is holding in the reserve pool
end plates → neuromuscular junctions when synapses from the pre-synaptic axon elaborate and appear in a saucer-like shape on the muscle fiber