5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Paha Sapa
- American Indian Movement
- General Allotment Act
- a the act of ending something
- b Dawes - Land granted to indian to hope assimilate them into society 1887-1934
- c The Indian name given to the Black Hills of the Dakota territory.
- d led by Dennis Banks and Russell Means; purpose was to obtain equal rights for Native Americans; protested at the site of the Wounded Knee massacre
- e cactus the yeilds a hallucinogenic drug substance used by Native American Indian groups to produce visions
5 Multiple choice questions
- A religious revitalization movement among Native Americans, also known as the Peyote religion
- trading and fishing rights in the state of washington
- In 1876, Indian leaders Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse defeated Custer's troops who tried to force them back on to the reservation, Custer and all his men died
- Led by Chief Joseph, they fled to Canada after the U.S. authorities tried to put them in a reservation. They eventually surrendered and where placed in a reservation in Kansas, where most of them died. After that they were allowed to live in a reservation in Idaho
- 1928 Boarding school/Indian policy review. Horrible conditions at institutions, ineffective policies, exploitation, suicide. Ends boarding school policy in 1930s. ID loss, mistrust of gov, lost lang and cult, family dysfunction.
5 True/False questions
Indian gaming regulatory act → 1934 - Restored tribal ownership of lands, recognized tribal constitutions and government, and provided loans for economic development.
Johnson-O'malley Act → - authorized secretary of interior to contract with states/ agencies to provide educational services, medical services, agricultural assistance, and social welfare
self-deterimination → would strengthen sense of autonomy without threatening sense of community and federal government promised to continue federal support until tribes no longer needed it.
Wounded Knee Massacre → Led by Chief Joseph, they fled to Canada after the U.S. authorities tried to put them in a reservation. They eventually surrendered and where placed in a reservation in Kansas, where most of them died. After that they were allowed to live in a reservation in Idaho
impact aid → the money that the give to school districts money to offset property tax