1. Which of the following statements concerning China's size and location is correct?
China is slightly smaller in size than the U.S. and has a similar longitudinal extent as the 48 contiguous U.S. states.
2. When did the Chinese communists proclaim the birth of the People's Republic of China
and where did the defeated Nationalists flee to?, The Chinese communists proclaimed the birth of the People's Republic of China in 1949 and the defeated Nationalists fled to Taiwan.
3. Within China proper there are four major river basins that contain more than 75 percent of China's population. Within which of these regions is the capital city of Beijing located? (This region also has very high agricultural population densities
and is considered to be a national core area.), The North China Plain (Lower Huang He Basin)
4. Which of the following best explains the location and purpose of Special Economic Zones (SEZs) in China?
They are located on the coast so China can participate in the global market economy, while at the same time minimizing outside influence in the political arena.
5. What is the approximate population of Japan?
6. During this era China made major advances in science and technology; great oceangoing ships sailed in huge fleets into the Indian Ocean and reached East Africa long before the Europeans in their much smaller vessels did. This era was,
The Ming Dynasty
7. This former colony of Portugal shares a harbor with its better known neighbor-the former British colony of Hong Kong (now Xianggang)
8. When the European colonialists appeared in East Asia, Chinese emperors were dismissive of their presence and their technologies. Which of the following was NOT true?
There was no interest in European products because the Chinese had developed similar technologies centuries prior to the Europeans.
9. China has four centrally controlled government municipalities known as ''Shi''s. These sub-regions allow the central government to entrench their control and power over the area. Which of the following is NOT one of the Shis?
Xianggang (Hong Kong)
10. What percentage of Japan's national territory is designated as habitable?
11. These areas were introduced by the Chinese government to attract technologies and investment from abroad and transform the economic geography of eastern China. These zones are on the east coast in order to facilitate trade with the west (North America and Europe) without having western influences penetrate too far inland. These areas go by a number of related names. Three (3) of the names for these eastern Chinese trade areas are:
Special Economic Zones Open Cities Open Coastal Areas
12. The four (4) major islands of Japan are listed below. A. Kyushu B. Shikoku C. Honshu D. Hokkaido E. Sapporo.Which one in the list is NOT one of the four major Japanese islands?
13. Japan's population is aging rapidly. Japan's population peaked in the late 2000s and is declining towards an expected low in about 2025?when it is expected the population will only be:,
14. Which side of the road do the Japanese drive on?