Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (29)
Describe Information Operations
The integrated employment, during military operations, of information related capabilities in concert with other lines of operation to influence, disrupt, corrupt, or usurp the decision making of adversaries and potential adversaries while protecting our own
What is the principal goal of IO
To achieve and maintain information superiority for the US and its allies
Define Information Superiority
The operational advantage derived from the ability to collect, process and disseminate an uninterrupted flow of information while exploiting or denying an adversary's ability to do the same.
What is the information environment
It is the aggregate of individuals, organizations and systems that collect, process, disseminate, or act on information.
What are the 3 interrelated dimensions of the information environment
Physical, Informational, and cognitive
Describe Physical Dimension
It is the C2 systems and supporting infrastructure. It consists of physical platforms and networks. It is the easiest to measure. Combat power is traditionally measured in this domain.
Describe Information Dimension
Information is collected, processed, stored, disseminated, processed, displayed and protected, it is where the commander's intent is conveyed.
Describe the Cognitive Dimension
It encompasses the mind of the decision maker and the target audience where people think, perceive, visualize and decide.
Which of the 3 dimensions is the most important?
What are Information-related capabilities?
Tools, techniques or activities that affect any of the three dimensions of the information environment
What is the primary difference between MISO and MILDEC?
MISO does not lie, MILDEC can lie
What are the 13 different Information-related capabilities?
1) Joint Inter-Agency Coord. Group 2) PA 3) CA 4) Space Ops 5) Cyber 6) IA 7) MISO 8) Intel 9) MILDEC 10) OPSEC 11) Special Technical Ops 12) Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Ops 13) KLE
Define MISO (Military Support Operations)
Planned operations to convey selected information and indicators to foreign audiences to influence their emotions, motives, objective reasoning and ultimately the behavior of foreign governments, organizations, groups and individuals in a manner favorable to the originators' objectives
What are MISO peace time operations
MISO is planned and integrated to further national defense strategies through the geographic combatant commander's theater campaign plan.
What are MISO combat operations
MISO sets conditions for insertion of combat forces, neutralizing threats, facilitating efforts to contain conflict, stabilizing the operational area, and enhancing efforts to achieve conditions that allow a return to steady state operations.
What are MISO Civil Authority Information Support
When authorized for employment in this manner MISO forces use their media development, production and dissemination capabilities to deliver public and critical disaster information to populations in the impacted area.
What are the 5 traditional roles of MISO
1) Influence foreign populations to obtain compliance, non-interference or desired behavioral changes
2) Advice the commander on MISO activities
3) Provide public information to foreign populations
4) Serve as the supported commanders voice to foreign populations
5) Counter enemy propaganda, misinformation, disinformation and opposing information to portray friendly intent and actions correctly and positively for foreign audiences
Define Military Deception
Actions executed to deliberately mislead adversary military, paramilitary, or violent extremist organization decision makers, thereby causing the adversary to take specific actions that will contribute to the accomplishment of the friendly mission
What are the 5 functions of MILDEC
1) Cause ambiguity, confusion or misunderstanding in advisory perceptions of friendly critical informations
2) Cause the advisory to misallocate personnel, fiscal, and material resources in ways that are advantageous to the friendly force
3) Cause the advisory to reveal strengths, disposition and future intentions
4) Conditioning the advisory to particular patterns of friendly behavior to induce advisory perceptions that can be exploited
5) Cause the advisory to waste combat power with inappropriate or delayed actions
MILDEC 4 Basic Deception Techniques
1) Feints 2) Demonstrations 3) Ruses 4) Displays
A process of identifying critical information and subsequently analyzing friendly actions attendant to military operations and other activities
What is the purpose of OPSEC
To reduce the vulnerability of US and multinational forces from successful advisory exploitation of critical information
What is the OPSEC process
A systematic method used to identify, control, and protect critical information and subsequently analyze friendly actions associated with military operations and other activities
What are OPSEC counter measures
Countermeasures are used to prevent the advisory from detecting indicators or exploiting vulnerabilities, provide alternative analysis of vulnerability or indicator, and/or attack the adversaries collection system
What are OPSEC Assessments and Surveys
Assessments are conducted annually to evaluate an operations, activity, exercise, or support function to determine the likelihood that critical information can be protected from the adversary's intelligence collection systems.
What is the primary means of protecting classified and sensitive material
Security at the source, it should govern discussions with the public
What are some of the functions of the IO cell chief
1) Coordinate the overall information operations portion of the plan for the joint force commander
2) Coordinate IO issues within the joint force staff and with counterpart IO planners on the component staffs and supporting organizations
3) Coordinate employment of information-related capabilities and activities to support the CMDR's concept of operations
4) Recommend IO priorities to accomplish planned objectives
5) Determine the availability of information-related capability resources to carry out IO plans
6) Request planning support from organizations that plan and execute information related capabilities
What is PA participation in the IOWG
The JTF PAO must send a representative to attend IO cell/working group meetings to gather and share information in order to synchronize efforts among different staff sections and provide PA input for various IO products
Where is PA input found in IO
Appendix 3-Annex C (Information Operations) Paragraph 3b, tasks
This set is often in folders with...
NAVPERS 15665I, U.S. NAVY UNIFORM REGULATIONS
Foundations EWS 8661
You might also like...
FM 3-13 Inform and Influence Activities
SURG tech 101 OPSEC
Other sets by this creator
PA/VI Resource Management
Media Operations Center
Defense Support to Civil Authorities
Other Quizlet sets
GEOG1111 Test 2
Conditioning and Learning Test 2 Essays
Unit Two Prompt 2 - "Discuss the various hemispher…