Create an account
Public Safety Licenses
● No license = no contract
● Example: don't have to pay doctor if they don't have a license to practice medicine
● No license = still a contract - why?
● Example: Amazon - doesn't have a sales tax permit - but purpose of business is to raise revenue
Old Rule of Usury
● All interest (illegal and legal) and principal forfeited
● Lender is entitled to get nothing back
New Rule of Usury
● Punishment - 3x illegal interest and attorney fees
● But if more than 2x legal rate - Old Rule applies
Problem with 1 1/2 % per month
● People believe they can charge the same rate they are paying on their credit cards to people they lend money to
● But the most you can charge is 1/2 of 1% per month
Covenants Not To Compete
● Party agrees not to compete against former business
● Ok, if reasonable business necessity & REASONABLE as to
3) Subject Matter
Employment in Covenants Not to Compete
Not particularly favored by courts but reluctantly upheld by courts sometimes
Sale of Business in Covenants Not to Compete
More favorably looked upon by courts than employment contracts - bargaining position and consideration
Wrongdoer attempts to be excused from liability caused by HIS OWN NEGLIGENCE OR INTENTIONAL ACTS
Examples of Exculpatory & Release
● Parking lots, car repairs, apartment leases, school trip releases
Rule of Exculpatory & Release
Contracts which attempt to insulate 1 party from his/her own negligence or intentional acts ARE illegal - USUALLY - not always though
● Contract is so grossly unfair it shocks the conscience of a reasonable person
● May be set aside by courts
In Pari Delicto
● Court won't enforce contract where both parties have "unclean hands"
● What if only 1 party has dirty hands?
● Clean hands can sue unclean hands
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together