5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Poncho Villa
- a Ballad/Poem, Mexican. Often political.
- b Before Inca, Spanish encountered them. In the aztec society, there was one king who was a divine ruler. this person ruled over the whole aztec kingdom and was passed down by lineage. They were really big on human sacrifice and found it kinda fun. The people that lived in the kingdom would ever so often (u know just for fun) practice blood letting, by stabbing their ears and tounges, releasing large amounts of blood "in honor of they gods". Montezuma was a representation of a god. They were very learned in the subject of the galaxy and were better at math than Vasco.
- c Survived from 1471-1541. Was a militarist stationed around the equator. With only 80 soldiers, he goes to the Inca empire and takes the emperor (atahualpa) prisoner, gets a "room full of gold" and kills atahualpa. Basically he humiliated the Inca.
- d A leader of peasant armies in the Mexican Revolution, one of the three main leaders with Francisco Madero and Emeliano Zapata. Was against Carranza, a constitutionalist backed by US support. Poncho felt betrayed by the US, and raided Columbia. US hunts for Poncho, never finds him.
- e half Spanish half Indian) shut out of jobs—Indian's forced to pay tribute
5 Multiple choice questions
- Europeans and the Spanish (old world) brought things like religions, ideas, people, plants, diseases and animals to the Americas, this blended the old and new world.
- they were the military dictators. they came to vulnerable countries and tried to be friends with military and help take over countries.
- Goes to Hispaniola in 1502 earns encomienda turns to evangelizing Indians. 1506- ordained deacon, then in 1512, 1st priest ordained in New World
Wrote a Brief Account of the Devastation of the Indies (1542)
- instituted in 1929 to bring peace to Mexico, by answering the people, but quickly grew to become another time of political repression, they PRI would select a new candidate to win every six years, as they were the dominant power in the Mexican Political system, also the PRI rigged the elections in favor of the candidate they chose, But the PRI was destroyed in 2000 after a rule of 71 years. They also did not tolerate opposition
- Zapotec Indian from tiny village when he moved to Oaxaca at 13 did not speak Spanish 1855 became Minister of Justice and issued series of reforms (called Ley Juarez) Responsible for constitution of 1857, became president in 1861
Had reforms in 1867 such as the education ? At end of 10 year reign people see him as a dictator?
5 True/False questions
encomienda system → Full bred Spanish born in Spain, richest persons in Mexico and in charge
Father Hidalgo → Creole priest, Rallied poor mestizos and Indians, Sept. 16 1810-Grito de Dolores- Poor fighter, couldn't control army—Wants to return land to Indians.
Creole → (European descent but born in America) Spanish born in Mexico, above the Mestizos (half Spanish half native American), but under the Penninsularies (Full bred Spanish born in Spain).
Fulgencio Batista → 1933 Batista takes power (with US support)
Rules on own or behind puppet presidents takes over as dictator in 1952,
Refuses elections, represses opposition
Very close ties to US
Hernan Cortes- (Spanish) → Full bred Spanish born in Spain, richest persons in Mexico and in charge