5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- When a sterile member of the surgical team is performing their scrub prior to surgery the contact time with the antiseptic must be how long (ie. how long should a surgical scrub take)?
- T or F When performing a surgical scrub it is important to scrub your hands and arms vigorously with the scrub brush.
- Exercise is restricted in small animals for up to ____ days to allow incisions to heal.
- When preparing a patient for surgery which of the following could be used for the final prep?
Choose one answer. a. betadine scrub
b. chlorhexidine solution
c. chlorhexidine scrub
d. isopropyl alcohol
- Marks: 1 A tattoo is placed in the _______ of animals that have been surgically altered.
- a F (The important thing is contact time with the antiseptic scrub - it is important to ensure the antiseptic has enough time to kill bacteria on the skin surface (generally about 5 minutes of contact time is needed)- you do not need to scrub vigorously. Over zealous scrubbing can damage the skin and may actually expose microbes from deeper tissues layers to surface.)
- b 14
- c 5 mins
- d b
- e right ear
5 Multiple choice questions
- paracostal incision
- 1. Two letters: indicates clinic or org. that placed tatto 2. Single Letter: indicates year tattoo placed 3. Number: indicates chronological placement in logbook
5 True/False questions
This incision may start and stop anywhere from sternum to pelvic brim → ventral midline incision
Marks: 1 When preparing a patient for surgery what is used after the antiseptic scrub to remove detergent residue and oils from the skin? → isopropyl alcohol
T or F When wearing sterile gloves the OR nurse must ensure the gloves only contact sterile objects and remain above waist and table level. → F
T or F A bactericial disinfectant is the idea solution to use for the final prep before surgery in order to kill bacteria on the skin. → F
T or F If a small puncture is noticed in a surgical glove during surgery, it is okay to leave it until surgery is complete → F