5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Producing Ability
- Characteristics of Heritability
- Selection Index
- Trait Ratios
- a Indicator of the expected change in one trait relative to change in another trait in a population.
- b -influences resemblance among relatives
-influences accuracy of selection and rate of genetic change
- c Calculate a combined "breeding value" based on several traits.
- d Ratio of individual performance compared to contemporary group mean.
- e performance potential for a repeated trait in an individual.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Selection based on performance above a certain level.
- Set a minimum performance level for each trait being considered. Cull any animal that does not meet the standard for every trait.
- Rate at which selected individuals replace existing parents in the population.
- Time required to replace on generation with the next generation. Shorter interval = faster rate of genetic change.
- Correlation between true BV and predicted breeding value for a trait in a population.
5 True/False questions
Rate of Genetic Change → Important for individual performance
Heritability → Measure of the strength of the relationship between P and BV for a trait in a population.
Selection Intensity → Calculate a combined "breeding value" based on several traits.
Genetic Variation → Variability of BV for a trait in the population. The greater the genetic variation, the greater the difference between superior and inferior animals.
Permanent Environmental Effect → Nutrition, track conditions, illnesses