5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gene Combination Value
- Trait Ratios
- BLUP Models
- a Best Linear Unbiased Prediction. Enables large scale genetic evaluation.
- b Measure of the strength of the relationship between P and BV for a trait in a population.
- c Important for individual performance
- d Ratio of individual performance compared to contemporary group mean.
- e Calculated using covariance, a measure of how two traits or values vary together in a population.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Nutrition, track conditions, illnesses
- Time required to replace on generation with the next generation. Shorter interval = faster rate of genetic change.
- Response due to selection
- performance potential for a repeated trait in an individual.
- Multiple trait selection reduces selection intensity compared to selection for a single trait.
5 True/False questions
Replacement Rate → Rate at which selected individuals replace existing parents in the population.
Environmental Uniformity → Manage animals to keep environmental effects as similar as possible across the population.
Independent Culling Levels → Genetic value as a parent. Indication of potential to contribute to offspring.
Tandem Selection → Selection based on performance above a certain level.
Characteristics of Heritability → -influences resemblance among relatives
-influences accuracy of selection and rate of genetic change