United Nations Quiz
Terms in this set (23)
Who thought up the name UN and when did it begin?
Franklin D. Roosevelt--Oct. 24, 1945
What is UN Day?
Oct. 24, 1945
How many members were there originally?
How many members are there now?
Where is the UN headquartered?
New York City
What are the 6 official languages?
Arabic, English, chineses, Russian, French and Spainish
Aims of the UN
1. keep peace throughout the world
2. develop friendly relations between nations
3. to work together to help people live better lives; eliminate povety; disaes and illiteracy; stop environmental destruction, and to encourage respec for each other's rights and freedoms
4. to be a center for helping nations achieve these aims
Priniciples of UN
1. All members have sovereign equality
2. all member states must obey the charter
3. countries must try to settle their differences by peaceful means
4. countries must avoid using force
5. the UN may not interfere in the domestic affairs of any country
6. countires should try to assist the UN
What is the UN Charter?
international treaty that sets out basic priniciples of international relations
What is meant by sovereign?
a country is able to make decisions on their own
What are the six major organs?
1. general assembly 2. security council 3. economic and social council 4. trusteeship council 5. international court of justice 6. secretariat
kind of parliment of nations that meets to consider the world's most pressing problems
primarily responsibile for maintaining international peace and security
economic and social council
coordinates the economic and social work of the UN
international court of justice
main judicial organ consisting of 15 judges eloecet by GA and SC. decides diputes between countries
carries out the substantive and administrative work of the UN as directed by the GA and other organs
What actions may be taken by the UN security council?
may convene at any time, day or night, whenver peace is threatened. can enforce decisions, impose economic sanctions or order an arms embargo. can authorize membver states to use "all neccessary means" including collective military action
What are the powers and duties of the secretary general?
provides overall administrative guidance, top official of the UN and symbol of the organization to the world. Brings to the attention of the security council any problem that threatens international peace and security
9 agencies associated with the UN
-international monetary fund
-UN High commisioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
-UN development programme (UNDP)
-UN children's fund (UNICEF)
-International labor organization
-Universal postal union
-World Health org.
-World Bank Group
-International civil Avaition org
What does the UN do for peace?
member states agree to settle disputes by peaceful means and refrain from threatening of using force against other states
What is the UN budget?
Who pays for the budget?
All states that are members are obligated to pay
How are budget payments calculated?
portion pay is calculated on the basis of its share of the world economy
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
POLI FINAL (Updated)
United Nations & It's International Organizations--Midterm--
POS160 Chapter 5 Review Q's
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Part II Wills Trusts and Estates (Cushman)
MGMT 475 Final Part 3
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Afriac: Origins to Present
People Power and Product
United Nations IGO's/NGO's
UN Parlimentary Procedure