Skeleton: Classification/Structure of Bones and Cartilage

What differences between compact and spongy bone can be seen with the naked eye?
Click the card to flip 👆
1 / 31
Terms in this set (31)
cartilage that forms the walls of the voice box (larynx)hyalinecartilage that forms the epiglottiselasticarticular cartilageshyalinecartilage that makes up the meniscus in the knee jointfibrocartilagecartilage that connects the ribs to the sternumhyalinebone is made ofnervous tissue, connective tissue, cartilage, blood vesselslocation of osteogenic cellsperiosteum + endosteumlocation of osteoblastsin the periosteum; along the bone surfacelocation of osteoclastson those surfaces of bone that are undergoing resorption.function of organic matrix in boneprovide structure, flexibility, tensile strengthorganic components of the bone90% of the organic component are collagen type I and the remaining 10% non collagenous proteinsfunction of calcium saltssurround collagen fibers and produce hardnessdiaphysismade almost entirely of compact bonered bone marrow cavitysite of RBC formationepiphyseal linegrowth rate remnantyellow bone marrowcontains fat in adult bone; found in medullary cavitythis helps compact bone to withstand torsion/twisting forcealternating pattern of how the collagen fibers run within each lamellacylindrical units with open canals at the centerosteonlamellahollow tubes arranged like rings in a tree trunk in an osteoncentral canal/Haversian canalopen canal in the center of the osteonVolksmann's canalshort canal that connect periosteum to bone, perpendicular to central canal