Upgrade to remove ads
Bio Lab Photosythesis and Respiration Quiz
Terms in this set (36)
metabolic pathway that converts radiant energy (light) into chemical energy (sugar)
1. Photochemical process that splits H2O to release electrons, protons and oxygen
2. occurs in the thylakoid membranes of the chloroplasts
3. converts light energy into chemical energy
4. Fast (practically instantaneously)
6 CO2 + 12 H2O > C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O
*note that the water molecules on either side of the equation are not the same: they have been split to release electrons then reformed
Light Independent Reactions (dark reactions)
1. Biochemical process that reassembles into products
2. occurs in the stroma of chloroplasts
3. uses chemical energy to convert carbon dioxide to sugar
4. Slower then Light reaction, but still very fast
Anaerobic Fermentation In plants and Some Microbes
C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2 + 2 ATP + Heat
Anaerobic Fermentation in Animals and some Microbes
C6H12O6 > CH3CHOHCOOH + 2 ATP + Heat
*note that only 2 ATP are produced, much less efficient than aerobic respiration
1. oxidation of glucose
2. if oxygen is still present after glycolysis , aerobes will use it for the Krebs cycle
Citric Acid Cycle
Organisms that use oxygen for respiration beyond glycolysis
Anaerobic Fermentation and Anaerobes
1. live without oxygen
2. some bacteria specialize alternative pathways for energy production
3. utilize glycolysis through anaerobic fermentation
4. Much less efficient than aerobic respiration
What happens to the pyruvate during anaerobic fermentation?
The pyruvate is reduced to either CO2 or ethanol (in some plants)
or lactic acid (in other microbes or oxygen stressed muscles of animals)
a measure of the amount of H+ ions within a concentration. >7 acidic <7 basic 7 = Neutral
How does phenol red solution work?
Phenol red does not indicate the presence of CO2 rather, phenol red is a sustance whose color exhibits a gradual transition from yellow to pink.
*if C02 is present it can combine with water to form carbonic acid, which will lower the pH of the solution.
1. Acidic >7 = yellow
2. Basic <8 = pink
* Contain carbohydrate stores
* when seeds germinate the carbohydrate is broken down by aerobic respiration, liberating the energy (ATP) required for each embryo to grow into a seedling.
What is produced during aerobic respiration?
Co2 (C6H12O6 + 6 O2 > 6 CO2 + 6 H2O + Energy)
ends with 36 ATP
Increase in CO2 does what to a photosynthetic reaction?
Increases the overall rate of the reaction
1. Method used to separate different pigments involved in photosynthesis
2. Chlorophyll a, chlorophyll b, xanthophyll, carotene
How does Chromatography work?
-method used to separate different pigments involved in photosynthesis.
- physical separation of mixture into individual components
Ratio of distance travelled by pigment vs. solvent (decimal)
What is the equation for calculating retention factor?
Rf = Distance travelled by pigment / Distance travelled by solvent front
Light dependent and Independent reactions of photosynthesis occur here.
thick fluid between the thylakoid stacks
light-independent (dark) reactions occur here
light dependent reactions occur here
1. Process during which stored energy (carbohydrates) is released
2. occurs in both autotrophs and heterotrophs (plants and animals)
- glucose + oxygen > yields > CARBOON DIOXIDE + WATER + ENERGY + HEAT (32)
Cellular Respiration ATP production?
32 ATP are produced
CO2 Production during Respiration
1. If C02 is present, respiration has occurred
2 . When C02 is present it combines with water to form carbonic acid and lowers the pH of the solution
CO2 + H2O <> H2CO3
1. The ONLY pigment involved in conversion of light energy into chemical energy
Other pigments, besides chlorophyl, that absorb light energy and transfer it to chlorophyll for conversion to chemical energy
1. The part that remains in one place, this is where.
- The chromatography paper where sample is loaded.
The part that moves (solvent mixture)
Anaerobic Respiration in plants
Plants produce Ethanol during anaerobic respiration
Anaerobic Respiration in Animals
In oxygen stressed animal tissue the build up of
1. lactic acid and
2. 2 ATP
is the result of anaerobic respiration
How many ATP are produced during glycolysis?
2 ATP are produced
How many ATP are produced during the Krebs Cycle?
2 ATP are produced
How many ATP are produced at the end of the Electron Transport Chain?
32 Total ATP are produced
Aerobic Respiration Total ATP?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Biology Chapter 8
Ch. 8, 9: Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration…
photosynthesis and cellular respiration…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Bio Lab Enzymes
Bio Lab Enzymes
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Chapter 24 Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory S…
psych chatper 13
Hon ELA- Macbeth Test