1 / 23
Which of the following forms of financial aid from the national government gives the states the broadest discretion in the spending of money?
Click the card to flip 👆
Terms in this set (23)
Which of the following is the best example of a categorical grant?Money given to states for special education programsIn a federal system of government, political power is primarilydivided between the central government and regional governmentsThe terms "fiscal federalism" and "cooperative federalism" refer to situations in whichfederal, state, and local governments work together to complete a project, with the federal government providing much of the project fundingWhich of the following scenarios best illustrates the concept of concurrent powers?The federal government provides about 25% of the total funding for highways and transit in the United States, while the other 75% of the funding comes from states.Which of the following constitutional principles best explains why there is variation among states on the use of capital punishment? (Map of country)FederalismWhich of the following constitutional provisions broadened the power of Congress?The necessary and proper clauseIn contrast to revenue sharing, categorical grants-in-aid provide state and local governments withfunds to administer programs clearly specified by the federal governmentIn many places, classrooms are overcrowded and curricula are outdated. Most of our qualified teachers are underpaid, and many of our paid teachers are unqualified. So we must give every child a place to sit and a teacher to learn from. Poverty must not be a bar to learning, and learning must offer an escape from poverty. But more classrooms and more teachers are not enough. We must seek an educational system which grows in excellence as it grows in size. This means better training for our teachers. It means preparing youth to enjoy their hours of leisure as well as their hours of labor. It means exploring new techniques of teaching, to find new ways to stimulate the love of learning and the capacity for creation. . . . . . . While our Government has many programs directed at those issues, I do not pretend that we have the full answer to those problems. But I do promise this: We are going to assemble the best thought and the broadest knowledge from all over the world to find those answers for America. I intend to establish working groups to prepare a series of White House conferences and meetings . . . on the quality of education, and on other emerging challenges. And from these meetings and from this inspiration and from these studies we will begin to set our course toward the Great Society. The solution to these problems does not rest on a massive program in Washington, nor can it rely solely on the strained resources of local authority. They require us to create new concepts of cooperation, a creative federalism, between the National Capital and the leaders of local communities.Calling on experts to advise the federal government in finding ways to improve public educationThe clause in the United States Constitution that states that federal law will prevail in the event of a conflict between federal and state law is known as thesupremacy clauseWhich of the following statements can be supported from information in the table above? I. Federal grants to state and local governments have increased substantially in total dollar amount since 1950. II. In 1994 the federal government devoted a larger percentage of outlays to grants than in 1980. III. Between 1980 and 1990, grants decreased as a percentage of federal outlays. IV. In 1994 states were more dependent on federal grants for revenue than in 1990, 1970, or 1960. (Federal grants-in-aid 1950-1994 table)I, III, and IV onlyThe Tenth Amendment to the Constitution has been interpreted by the Supreme Court toreserve powers to the statesWhich of the following actions by the federal government best illustrates the concept of unfunded mandates?Requiring states and municipalities to provide certain services for their citizens without providing resources to pay for those servicesThe effect of national emergencies and judicial interpretations on federalism has been toincrease the power of the national government.