Create an account
2. What distinguishes a Trojan horse from a boot sector virus?
a. A Trojan horse propagates itself via network connections while a boot sector virus propagates itself through executable files copied from disk to disk.
3. What characteristic of the IRC protocol makes it an effective way to spread viruses and worms quickly?
b. It broadcasts communication from one chat room participant to others.
4. Which of the following techniques does a polymorphic virus employ to make itself more difficult to detect?
a. It frequently changes its code characteristics.
5. If your anti-malware software uses signature scanning, what must you do to keep its malware-fighting capabilities current?
d. Regularly update the anti-malware software's signature database
6. Which of the following power flaws has the ability to render your server's main circuit board unusable, even after power returns to normal?
7. Approximately how long will an online UPS take to switch its attached devices to battery power?
d. No time
8. When purchasing a UPS, you have to match the power needs of your system according to what unit of measure?
9. What makes SONET a highly fault-tolerant technology?
a. It uses dual, fiber-optic rings to connect nodes.
10. Why is simple disk striping not fault-tolerant?
b. If one disk fails, data contained on that disk is unavailable.
11. The most common form of RAID used on modern networks relies on what techniques?
c. disk striping with distributed parity
12. Which of the following can be considered an advantage of clustering servers over mirroring servers?
d. Clustering fail-over takes place more rapidly.
13. Which of the following offers the highest fault tolerance for shared data and programs?
c. SANs (storage area networks)
14. Why do SANs save and retrieve files faster than NAS devices?
d. They use a proprietary network transmission method, rather than Ethernet or token ring.
15. Suppose you are the network manager for an ISP whose network contains five file servers that use software RAID, a NAS installation, and a SAN. You learn that the company is taking on a huge Web hosting client and you need to add 1 TB of storage space as soon as possible. To what part of the network should you add the storage so that it causes the least disruption to the existing network?
d. To the SAN
16. Which factor must you consider when using online backups that you don't typically have to consider when backing up to a LAN tape drive?
17. In a grandfather-father-son backup scheme, the October—week 1—Thursday backup tape would contain what type of files?
c. Files changed since Wednesday (a day before)
18. In the grandfather-father-son backup scheme, how frequently is a full backup performed? (Choose all that apply.)
19. What is the difference between an incremental backup and a differential backup?
b. An incremental backup resets the archive bit after backing up files, whereas a differential backup does not.
20. You have been charged with creating a disaster recovery contingency plan for the federal benefits agency where you work. Your supervisor has said that the network must have the highest availability possible, no matter what the cost. Which type of disaster recovery site do you recommend?
d. Hot site
1. Which of the following practices creates a starting point for ongoing evaluation of your network's health?
2. Suppose you learned that half of the patch cables that connect a workgroup of computers in the Accounting Department to a patch panel needed to be replaced due to concerns about faulty manufacturing. Which of the following types of documentation would help you identify these patch cables?
b. Wiring schematic
3. You have researched a new type of switch and proved that upgrading your switches to this model is feasible. What step do you take next before replacing your old switches?
b. Evaluate the new switch on a pilot network that mimics your network environment.
4. Which of the following is an example of test criteria that can be used to accurately evaluate the success of an organization's network backbone upgrade?
d. Did the change result in a 30% reduction in the time that it takes for data to travel from the router in building A to the router in building B?
5. You work for a medical transcription company that contracts with hundreds of transcriptionists across the country. The transcriptionists connect to your network over a VPN that provides remote access services. Employees work at all times of the day or night, and not all of the transcriptionists are connected at the same time. Further, the number of transcriptionists the company hires at any time depends on a variable workload. You need to determine whether to increase the number of licenses on your remote access server. Which of the following variables would you configure your network monitoring application to track over time to help you find your answer?
c. Number of users connected to the remote access server
6. You suspect that one of your network's two redundant core switches has a NIC or cable that's experiencing transmission problems. Supposing you never obtained a baseline for traffic on this switch, which of the following measurements would help you verify your suspicion?
d. Total bits per second traveling through the affected switch, compared to total bits per second traveling through the redundant switch
7. Which of the following protocols is commonly used for communication between network management agents and applications?
8. Which of the following applications would allow you to determine how many times in the past seven days your Windows Vista workstation has been unable to renew its DHCP-assigned IP address?
c. Event Viewer
9. On your Linux server, what file tells you where your system log file is kept?
10. Which of the following techniques could be used to prevent clients from downloading more than 50 GB of data per day through a given network interface?
a. Traffic policing
11. Which of the following criteria could be used to prioritize traffic for all HTTPS transactions on a network?
12. An asset management database should include which of the following? (Choose all that apply.)
a. Serial number for every server on the network
b. Model number for every router, switch, and hub on the network
14. How does a software patch differ from an upgrade?
c. A patch is designed to make minor corrections or enhancements, whereas an upgrade replaces most, if not all, of the software code.
15. Under what circumstances should a network administrator inform users of a software change?
b. When the change might affect applications or utilities on which the users rely
16. What term do networking professionals use to refer to reversing a software upgrade?
17. Which of the following is the best way to reverse a network operating system upgrade?
d. Restore the server's software and configuration from a backup.
19. Which of the following pieces of information must you collect when establishing a baseline for the performance of a WAN link?
c. Average daily traffic traveling over the link
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together