5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Movies with sound were called _________.
- ________ __________ was a painter who drew inspiration for her artwork from the different places where she lived.
- Where was Harlem?
- Until the 1920's, radios were used as __________ ____________. They enabled people to speak to one another over long distances.
- _____________ wrote the words & music for 20 musicals and starred in them as well.
- a Georgia O'Keeffe
- b wireless telephones
- c Cohan
- d in northern Manhattan in New York City
- e "talkies"
5 Multiple choice questions
- improvised playing
- Harding, Cox
- 600,13 million
5 True/False questions
Name 2 of jazz's earliest performers. → Louis Armstrong and Jelly Roll Morton
What was the 1st movie with voices (1927)? → the traditional music of West Africa as well as by ragtime, spirituals, and blues music
Today jazz continues to surprise its listeners. As saxophone player ________ ___________ said, "There are always new sounds to imagine; newfeelings to get at.". → John Coltrane
Many people went to Harlem clubs to see performances by singers like __________________ & _________________. → Bill "Bojangles" Robinson
Jazz was well liked by both black & ________ Americans. → white