6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- a loom operated mechanically, run by water putting the loom side by side wit hthe spinning machines in factories, changed workers job from running it to watching it, Invented in 1787, invented by Edward Cartwright , it speeded up the production of textiles
- external-combustion engine in which heat is used to raise steam which either turns a turbine or forces a piston to move up and down in a cylinder
- line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
- The practice of rotating use of different fields from crop to crop each year, to avoid exhausting the soil.
- a machine that separates the seeds from raw cotton fibers
- a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
5 True/False questions
Samuel Slater → He memorized the way that the British made machines and he brought the idea to America. He made our first cotton spinning machine.
Steamboat → a boat propelled by a steam engine
Urbanization → Process of industrial development in which countries evolve economically, from producing basic, primary goods to using modern factories for mass-producing goods. At the highest levels of development, national economies are geared mainly toward the delivery of services and exchange of information.
Enclosures → one of the fenced-in or hedged-in fields created by wealthy British landowners on land that was formerly worked by village farmers
Factories → Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods