6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- a loom operated mechanically, run by water putting the loom side by side wit hthe spinning machines in factories, changed workers job from running it to watching it, Invented in 1787, invented by Edward Cartwright , it speeded up the production of textiles
- small-scale industry that can be carried on at home by family members using their own equipment
- a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
- a boat propelled by a steam engine
- Visited England and returned to the US to open a mill in Mass. that brought spining and weaving in one building in a town named after him
- one of the fenced-in or hedged-in fields created by wealthy British landowners on land that was formerly worked by village farmers
5 True/False questions
Samuel Slater → He memorized the way that the British made machines and he brought the idea to America. He made our first cotton spinning machine.
Factories → Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods
Railroad → a boat propelled by a steam engine
Tenements → Urban apartment buildings that served as housing for poor factory workers. Often poorly constructed and overcrowded.
Cotton Gin → a machine that separates the seeds from raw cotton fibers