6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- Visited England and returned to the US to open a mill in Mass. that brought spining and weaving in one building in a town named after him
- Process of industrial development in which countries evolve economically, from producing basic, primary goods to using modern factories for mass-producing goods. At the highest levels of development, national economies are geared mainly toward the delivery of services and exchange of information.
- new invention for weaving-enabled the weaver to throw the shuttle back and forth between the threads with one hand (replaced the loom)
- Children were viewed as laborers throughout the 19th century. Many children worked on farms, small businesses, mills and factories.
- the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
- The practice of rotating use of different fields from crop to crop each year, to avoid exhausting the soil.
5 True/False questions
Railroad → line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
Power Loom → a loom operated mechanically, run by water putting the loom side by side wit hthe spinning machines in factories, changed workers job from running it to watching it, Invented in 1787, invented by Edward Cartwright , it speeded up the production of textiles
Cottage industry → small-scale industry that can be carried on at home by family members using their own equipment
Steam Engine → external-combustion engine in which heat is used to raise steam which either turns a turbine or forces a piston to move up and down in a cylinder
Cotton Gin → a machine that separates the seeds from raw cotton fibers