6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- a machine that separates the seeds from raw cotton fibers
- a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
- Children were viewed as laborers throughout the 19th century. Many children worked on farms, small businesses, mills and factories.
- Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods
- a loom operated mechanically, run by water putting the loom side by side wit hthe spinning machines in factories, changed workers job from running it to watching it, Invented in 1787, invented by Edward Cartwright , it speeded up the production of textiles
- He memorized the way that the British made machines and he brought the idea to America. He made our first cotton spinning machine.
5 True/False questions
Crop Rotation → The practice of rotating use of different fields from crop to crop each year, to avoid exhausting the soil.
Railroad → line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
Steam Engine → a boat propelled by a steam engine
Tenements → Urban apartment buildings that served as housing for poor factory workers. Often poorly constructed and overcrowded.
Francis Cabot Lowell → Visited England and returned to the US to open a mill in Mass. that brought spining and weaving in one building in a town named after him