6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods
- a boat propelled by a steam engine
- the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
- Children were viewed as laborers throughout the 19th century. Many children worked on farms, small businesses, mills and factories.
- line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
- a loom operated mechanically, run by water putting the loom side by side wit hthe spinning machines in factories, changed workers job from running it to watching it, Invented in 1787, invented by Edward Cartwright , it speeded up the production of textiles
5 True/False questions
Spinning Jenny → a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
Francis Cabot Lowell → Visited England and returned to the US to open a mill in Mass. that brought spining and weaving in one building in a town named after him
Crop Rotation → the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
Flying Shuttle → He memorized the way that the British made machines and he brought the idea to America. He made our first cotton spinning machine.
Tenements → Urban apartment buildings that served as housing for poor factory workers. Often poorly constructed and overcrowded.