5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- He is not above a trivial caper movie like Ocean's Eleven, but invests it with such ____________ that it becomes pure pleasure to watch.
- a understood only by a small group or a select few
- b achieve something by means of trickery or devious methods
- c The little fairies from I Kill Giants are considered ________________s because they often foreshadow trouble that will occur in the novel.
- d elan
- e an indirect, less offensive way of saying something that is considered unpleasant
5 Multiple choice questions
- calmness, composure, refusal to panic
- faux pas
- The press _______________ was more successful for the new candidate.
- distasteful (because excessive); excessively sweet or sentimental
5 True/False questions
idiosyncratic → His _________________ habits which were very specific and eccentric were a key lead for the dectectives to solve the case.
idyllic → The pond was an _______________ place to fish because it was recently stocked with trout and other fish.
fait accompli → a complete failure
The distinction between mind and body is an artificial ____________ . → dilettante
dilettante → that eerie sense that "I've experienced this before." Cues from the current situation may subconsciously trigger retrieval of an earlier experience.