5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- fait accompli
- a an accomplished and presumably irreversible deed, fact, or action
- b His _________________ habits which were very specific and eccentric were a key lead for the dectectives to solve the case.
- c doing harm in a subtle manner
- d achieve something by means of trickery or devious methods
- e The little fairies from I Kill Giants are considered ________________s because they often foreshadow trouble that will occur in the novel.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The condo was the ________________ of wealth with the outstanding views and services provided by the concierge.
- art characterized by sentimental, often pretentious bad taste
- showing frivolous or superficial interest
- a socially awkward or tactless act
5 True/False questions
equivocate → to speak or act in a way that allows for more than one interpretation; to be deliberately vague or ambiguous
fastidious → giving and careful attention to detail
"Personal staff time" was a phrase that on the 1980 campaign plane had been considered a ___________ for "nap time." → euphemism
euphemism → a mild, indirect, or vague word used instead of one considered harsh, blunt, or offensive
glib → preformed with a natural, offhand ease; marked by ease and fluency of speech or writing that suggests or stems from insincerity, superficiality, or deceitfulness