5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- functional fixedness
- a the tendency to think of things only in terms of their usual uses or purposes; an impediment to problem solving.
- b in language, the smallest distinctive sound unit.
- c a sudden and often novel realization of the solution to a problem; it contrasts with strategy-based solutions.
- d the set of rules by which we derive meaning from morphemes, words, and sentences in a given language; also, the study of meaning.
- e in a language, the smallest unit that carries meaning; may be a word or a part of a word (such as a prefix).
5 Multiple choice questions
- an effortless, immediate, automatic feeling or thought, as contrasted with explicit, conscious reasoning.
- beginning at about 4 months, the stage of speech development in which the infant spontaneously utters various sounds at first unrelated to the household language.
- a mental grouping of similar objects, events, ideas, or people.
- (1) the inability to see a problem from a new perspective, by employing a different mental set. (2) according to Freud, a lingering focus of pleasure-seeking energies at an earlier psychosexual stage, in which conflicts were unresolved.
- in a language, a system of rules that enables us to communicate with and understand others.
5 True/False questions
algorithm → a methodical, logical rule or procedure that guarantees solving a particular problem. Contrasts with the usually speedier—but also more error-prone—use of heuristics.
two-word stage → the stage in speech development, from about age 1 to 2, during which a child speaks mostly in single words.
availability heuristic → a simple thinking strategy that often allows us to make judgments and solve problems efficiently; usually speedier but also more error-prone than algorithms.
one-word stage → beginning about age 2, the stage in speech development during which a child speaks mostly statements made up of only a couple of words.
syntax → in a language, a system of rules that enables us to communicate with and understand others.