Create an account
n. - name unknown
syn. - identity hidden
- The author kept his anonymity because he was
afraid of threats.
v. - to expect
syn. - to look forward to
- Are you anticipating your birthday next week,
v. - to calm down
syn. - to get someone quieted
- The mother was trying to appease her crying
baby by offering food.
adj. - covered with a protective or defensive coating
syn. - having an outer protection
- The army vehicles in Iraq are often armored to
protect the soldiers from explosive devices.
v. - to clearly express
syn. - to say well and precisely
- "Was the public debate teacher very
articulate?" questioned the judge.
adj. - having no street-smarts
syn. - naïve
- Because the new student had been home-
schooled, she was very artless and found it
hard to adapt to our social group.
v. - wanted to achieve a goal
syn. - sought with great effort
- The young high school athlete aspired to be in
the NBA and have a basketball career.
adj. - solemn, in a serious state of being
syn. - plainly decorated
- My uncle's wedding ceremony lacked
decorations and, therefore, was too austere.
adj. - feeling alarm or nervous
syn. - anxious
- Right before a hard test I am very
adj. - based on one's own preferences
syn. - personal choice, sometimes without a
- In the ice cream store and faced with so many
flavors, I made an arbitrary decision and just went with vanilla.
- My parents were being arbitrary when they
would not give me a reason why.
adj. - passionate
syn. - enthusiastic
- Cheerleaders are certainly an ardent group for
adj. - deserted, empty
syn. - isolated, devoid of landscaping
- You would not be wrong if you said that the
Arizona desert in parts is barren.
adj. - happy
syn. - cheerful
- The birthday girl was very blithe after opening
her wonderful presents.
v. - leaps forward, like a frog
syn. - springs again and again
- The frog bounds from the edge of Walden
Pond out to a lily pad.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together