5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- <Commanded the Bonhomme Richard
<Won many Naval battles
<Quote: "I have not yey begun to fight!"
- <Burgoyne left Canada, planning to meet Howe in Hudson River Valley to cut New England off from other colonies
<Howe went south to attack Philadelphia-never informed Burgoyne
<General Barry St. Leger never made it as well-cut off by General Benedict Arnold
<Weakened Burgoyne forced to fight alone
<Gen. Howe took Philadelphia, settled there for the winter-comfy and happy there, partying Benedict Arnold's wife spent time at those parties
- General Howe sailed to New York City. Washington rushed from Boston to defend New York, but had no Navy to defend the city. He was outnumbered 5,000 to 25,000 troops.
- <General von Steuben-military expert, trained troops
<Marquis de Lafayette-19 year old French soldier, fought with Washington
- Nathan Hale was captured (turned in by his own cousin) and gave his famous last words: "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
4 True/False questions
Privateers → privately owned ships that had permission to sail through blockade and attack British
Americans had less than 50 of these currently
Valley Forge → <Long, hard winter for Washington here 20 miles south of Philadelphia
<Lacked blankets, coats, shoes, warm tents, $$$-had to depend on local farmers' generosity
<"Winter of Red Snow"
<2,500 soldiers died in 6 months
Treaty of Alliance → France signed this to say they'd be allies with the Americans and aid them with money and troops.
Washington take control → British wait in Boston for more troops and supplies. General Washington arrives in Boston to take over the command of Patriot troops. Benedict Arnold and Ethan Allen (Green Mountain Boys) had taken Vermont and Fort Ticonderoga in New York. Now they returned with cannons all aimed at Boston. The Loyalists and British sailed from Boston without confrontation.