5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- Burgoyne was defeated! This convinced European leaders we could win the war.
- Quote: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country..."
- <General von Steuben-military expert, trained troops
<Marquis de Lafayette-19 year old French soldier, fought with Washington
- Washington defeats the British at Trenton, NJ on Dec. 26, 1776 in a surprise attack.
- <Long, hard winter for Washington here 20 miles south of Philadelphia
<Lacked blankets, coats, shoes, warm tents, $$$-had to depend on local farmers' generosity
<"Winter of Red Snow"
<2,500 soldiers died in 6 months
4 True/False questions
Battle of Long Island → General Howe sailed to New York City. Washington rushed from Boston to defend New York, but had no Navy to defend the city. He was outnumbered 5,000 to 25,000 troops.
British Plan to Isolate New England, Turning the Tide → <Burgoyne left Canada, planning to meet Howe in Hudson River Valley to cut New England off from other colonies
<Howe went south to attack Philadelphia-never informed Burgoyne
<General Barry St. Leger never made it as well-cut off by General Benedict Arnold
<Weakened Burgoyne forced to fight alone
<Gen. Howe took Philadelphia, settled there for the winter-comfy and happy there, partying Benedict Arnold's wife spent time at those parties
Spying on the Enemy → Nathan Hale was captured (turned in by his own cousin) and gave his famous last words: "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
John Paul Jones → <Commanded the Bonhomme Richard
<Won many Naval battles
<Quote: "I have not yey begun to fight!"