1. premenopausal women should perform 5-7 days after menstrual cycle begins or 3-5 days after it ends.
2. postmenopausal women should perform it same day each month
3. look in mirror with arms at sides. note dimpling, retraction, or breast flattening as she first elevates arms, presses hands against hips and bends forward
4. use pads of 3 middle fingers palpate entire breast systematically. Repeat lying down or with towel under arm
5. compress nipple and observe for any discharge
6. report any redness, inflammation, masses, flattening, puckering, dimpling, retraction, sunken areas, asymmetrical nipple direction, discharge, bleeding, lesions, or eczematous nipple changes