Upgrade to remove ads
3. Healthcare Associated Infections (HCAIs)
Terms in this set (12)
What are HCAIs?
Any infection caused by an infectious agent as a consequence of treatment from a medical condition
What are the 2 common HCAI bacteria?
Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) & Clostridium difficile
On average how many patients in a hospital have an HCAI?
What is the most common form of HCAI?
Urinary tract infection
Name some examples of predisposing factors of HCAIs.
- Undwelling medical devices (prosthetics/pacemakers)
- Extended length of stay in hospitals
- Immunocompromised host
- Use of broad spectrum antibiotics
- Very young/old
- Whether you've had an invasive procedures (Cathertisation)
- Whether you've had surgery at all
If a patient acquires an exogenous infection from a wet source within a hospital environment, what type of bacteria will it most likely be?
If a patient acquires an exogenous infection from a dry source within a hospital environment, what type of bacteria will it most likely be?
Name the routes of transmission of HCAIs.
- Droplets (air dissemination)
- Skin scales
- Sexual contact
- Mechanical (Needles, machinery, etc.)
What are the infection + prevention control (IPC) priorities?
- Maintenance of hand hygiene
- Maintenance of respiratory hygiene
- Maintenance of cleaning equipment/environment
- Safe management of bodily fluid spillages
- Safe management of laundry (staff/patients)
- Safe management and disposal of sharps/waste products
- Use of personal protective equipment
What does POCT stand for?
Point of care testing
What are some examples of POCT?
- Simple blood/urine tests
- ECG reading
- O2 saturation testing
- Heart rate reading
- General medical examination
Why are epidemiological studies to improve IPC?
They are done to determine who in particular is at risk of infection, and to what extent of the population will be affected. This is done as a preventative measure.
This set is often in folders with...
1. Commensal Flora
2. Oral Microbiology
You might also like...
Principles Chap. 4
Microbiology Chapters 12 and 13 Part 1
Iggy Chapter 23 Care of Patients With Infection
Other sets by this creator
Micro and Health Key Dates
11. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
10. Gastrointestinal Tract and Disorders
9. Global Diseases
Other Quizlet sets
Econ Money Test
Accounting Chapter 1
SUST 2000 Exam 1