5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- the urinary bladder
- Skeletal muscle
- a A renal calculus can be up to 2 cm wide, but even then, it would not obstruct:
a. the major calyx
b. the ureter
c. the urethra
d. the urinary bladder
e. the renal pelvis
- b Which of the following is not found in the ureter?
b. Two layers of smooth muscle
c. Three layers of smoother muscle
d. Transitional epithelium
e. Skeletal muscle
- c The thick segment of the nephron loop is impermeable to water
- d The ureters pass anterior to the bladder and enter it from below
5 Multiple choice questions
- Which of these correctly traces blood flow from the renal artery into the renal cortex?
a. Arcuate a. → interlobar a. → arfferent arteriole → interlobular a.
b. Interlobar a. → interlobular a. → segmental a. → arcuate a.
c. Segmental a. → interlobar a. → arcuate a. → interlobular a.
d. Afferent arteriole → interlobular a. → arcuate a. → interlobar a.
e. Segmental a. → arcuate a. → interlobar a. → interlobular a.
- Which of these correctly traces blood flow from the renal cortex to the renal vein?
a. interlobular v. → interlobar v. → segmental v. → renal v.
b. arcuate v. → interlobar v. → segmental v. → renal v.
c. interlobar v. → interlobular v. → arcuate v. → renal v.
d. segmental v. → arcuate v. → interlobar v. → renal v.
e. interlobular v. → arcuate v. → interlobar v. → renal v.
- In a healthy kidney, very little _________ is filtered by the glomerulus
a. Amino acids
- The minimum daily output of urine to meet the definition of polyuria is:
a. 0.5 L
b. 1.0 L
c. 1.5 L
d. 2.0 L
e. 3.0 L
- Diseases that affect the descending corticospinal tracts may limit inhibition f the sacral somatic motor neurons and thus could result in urinary incontinence
5 True/False questions
False → Ethyl (drinking) alcohol stimulates the secretion of ADH, thereby reducing reabsorption by the collecting duct
True → Glomerular capillaries suffer little damage from hypertension because of the protective influence of the afferent arterioles
Appearance of that solute in the urine → Total saturation of protein transporters for a given solute in the renal tubules would result in
a. Reabsorption of all the solute
b. A renal clearance of zero
c. A net filtration pressure of 1.0
d. Appearance of that solute in the urine
e. Absence of that solute from the urine
Juxtamedullary nephrons → Which are primarily responsible for maintain the salinity gradient of the renal medulla?
a. Cortical nephrons
b. Juxtamedullary nephrons
c. Collecting ducts
d. Proximal convoluted tubules
e. Distal convoluted tubules
False → The fenestrated endothelium of the capillary has pores small enough to exclude blood cells from the filtrate