Create an account
Race to find structure of DNA
Watson and Crick (1953)
- Linus Pauling
- Rosalind Franklin/Maurice Wilkins
X-ray diffraction was needed to elucidate structure
Crick - showed that: DNA was a constant diameter (2 nm)
Structure of DNA
- monomer unit is the nucleotide
- base pairing:
Adenine always pairs with Thymine
Guanine always pairs with Cytosine
- conservative or semi-conservative (or "dispersive"?)
- discovered to be "semi-conservative." Parent molecules stay intact.
steps of replication
- occurs with help from an enzyme: DNA polymerase strings nucleotides together
- polymerization of nucleotides is endergonic (i.e. a more complex molecule is formed)
1) each DNA strand is a template
2) bases enter at attachment point as a triphosphate
3) two phosphates are cleaved - this provides the energy needed to attach the base
4) hydrogen bonds with template base
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together