Word Masters 8th Grade-2015
Terms in this set (75)
N. speech or writing that is meant to sound important or impressive but is not sincere or meaningful; pretentious inflated speech or writing
V. to choke or strangle (someone)
to choke or strangle (someone)
V. to defeat (someone or something) easily or completely
V. to not allow (something) to grow or develop
Adj. of or relating to social events where people can eat, drink, and talk in a friendly way with others
(n.) treachery, deceitfulness; contradiction; trickery
V. to secretly help someone do something dishonest or illegal
V. to pretend ignorance of or fail to take action against something one ought to oppose
Adj. beginning to develop or exist
N. a wrong belief : a false or mistaken idea
N. the quality of being false or wrong
V. to entertain sumptuously : feast with delicacies
V. to give pleasure or amusement to
Adj. appearing, happening, or arriving soon
Adj. readily available
Adj. honest and open
N. the quality of being confident and unafraid of danger or punishment especially in a way that seems rude or foolish
N. a rash or reckless act
V. to speak in an angry or critical way to (someone who has done something wrong)
V. to criticize severely : find fault with; to reproach severely : scold vehemently
Adj. brief and direct in a way that may seem rude or unfriendly
Adj. using few words : devoid of superfluity
N. a person who annoys other people by correcting small errors and giving too much attention to minor details
N. one who makes a show of knowledge
V. to appear in a large, strange, or frightening form often in a sudden way
V. to appear in an impressively large or great form
V. to be close to happening : to be about to happen
Adj. having or showing careful good judgment; shrewd in the management of practical affairs
N. a human or animal in the early stages of development before it is born, hatched, etc.
V. to beat or whip (someone) severely
V. to criticize harshly
V. to force or urge into action : drive
Adj. easily annoyed or angered and likely to argue; aggressively self-assertive : belligerent; feeling or displaying ferocity : cruel, savage
N. a piece of a spider's web
N. a very light or delicate material
N. something impeding activity, progress, or freedom : restraint
V. to prevent or restrict the free movement of
Adj. given, produced, or existing in large amounts
N. something that provides protection for or against something
N. a wall that is built for protection
N. a wall that is part of a ship's sides and that is above the ship's upper deck
V. to speak or express your opinion about something in a way that shows that you think you are always right
V. to hover threateningly : menace
V. to be about to occur
N. a strong feeling of interest and enthusiasm that makes someone very eager or determined to do something
1. N. division or disunion, especially into mutually opposed parties. 2.N. the parties so formed. 3. N. division within or separation from an established Church, esp. the Roman Catholic Church.
1. V. (without object) to talk excessively and pointlessly; babble. 2. V. (with object) to utter in empty or foolish talk. 3. N. empty or foolish talk.
1. V. (with object) to surround with military forces, lay siege to. 2. V. (with object) to surround or beset, as with troubles.
1. N. a small group of secret plotters, as against a government or person in authority. 2. N. the plots and schemes of such a group; intrigue. 3. N. a clique, as in artistic, literary, or theatrical circles. 4. V. (without object) to form a cabal; intrigue; conspire; plot.
1. V. (with object) to look at amorously, flirtatiously or impertinently. 2. V. (with object) to eye; look or stare at. 3. V. (without object) to look amorously, flirtatiously or impertinently. 4. V. (without object) to eye; look or stare.
1. Adj. lacking or having lost life, sharpness or flavor; insipid; flat. 2. Adj. without liveliness or spirit; dull or tedious.
1. N. person or thing that acts as a chief support or part. 2. N. (nautical) the stay that secures the mainmast forward.
1. V. (with object) to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others. 2. V. (with object) to wish for, especially eagerly. 3. V. (without object) to have an inordinate or wrongful desire.
1. Adj. unskillful, awkward, not dexterous, bungling, tactless, insensitive.
1. N. any external prop or support built to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts, especially a projecting support built into or against the outside of a masonry wall. 2. N. any prop or support. 3. N. a thing shaped like a buttress, as a tree trunk with a widening bade. 4. V. to support by a buttress; prop up. 5. V. (with object) to give encouragement or support to (a person, plan etc.)
1. V. (with object) to work, one with another; cooperate, as on a literary work. 2. V. (with object) to cooperate, usually willingly, with an enemy nation, especially with an enemy occupying one's country.
1. Adj. characterized by assumption or dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved. 2. Adj. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious. 3. Adj. having no factual basis, false.
1. N. a subtle difference or distinction in expression, meaning, response, etc. 2. N. a very slight difference or variation in color or tone.
1. V. (with object) to look at or view with continued attention; observe or study thoughtfully. 2. V. (with object) to consider thoroughly; think fully or deeply about. 3. V. (with object) to have as a purpose; intend. 4. V. (with object) to have in view as a future event. 5. V. ( without object) to think studiously; meditate; consider deliberately
1. Adj. awkward, clumsy or unmannerly. 2. Adj. strange and ungraceful in appearance or form.
1. N. a movement made in order to deceiver an adversary; an attack aimed at one place or point merely as a distraction from the real place or point of attack. 2. N. a feigned or assumed appearance. 3. V. (used with object) to make a false show of; simulate.
1. V. (used with object) to harass, annoy, or prove a nuisance to by or as if by repeated attacks; worry. 2. V. (used with object) to ravage as in war; devastate. 3. V. (used without object) to make harassing incursions.
1. Adj. watchful and discreet; cautious; prudent. 2. Adj. well-considered.
1. Adj, working or acting merely for money or other reward; influenced by greed or desire for gain. 2. Adj. hired to serve in a foreign,, guerrilla organization, etc. 3. N. a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army. 4. N. Any hireling
1. N. a small, migratory, gallinaceous bird. 2. V. to lose heart or courage in difficulty or danger; shrink with fear
1. Adj. producing offspring, young, fruit, etc. abundantly; highly fruitful. 2. Adj, producing in great quantities or with great frequency.
1. N. the tip, point, or vortex; summit. 2. N. climax; peak; acme
1. V. to bestow or express excessive love or fondness habitually (usually followed by on or upon) 2. V. to show decline of mental faculties
1. Adj. ready or inclined to fight; pugnacious
1. N. union or fellowship arising from common responsibilities and interests, as between members of a group or between classes, peoples, etc. 2. N. community of feelings, purposes etc.
N. a sound or noise that someone (such as an audience member) makes toward a speaker, performer, athlete, etc., that he or she does not like
N. a derisive remark: criticism
V. to look at someone or something in an angry way
Adj. not paying careful attention
N. scheming or crafty actions or artful designs intended to accomplish some usually evil end
N. official strong criticism
Adj. seeking or intended to subvert an established system or institution.
SUBVERT: to secretly try to ruin or destroy a government, political system, etc.
SUBVERT: to make (something) weaker or less effective
N. the solid rock that lies under the surface of the ground
N. a strong idea, principle, or fact that supports something; basis
V. to publicly state that someone or something is bad or wrong : to criticize (someone or something) harshly and publicly
V. to report (someone) to the police or other authorities for illegal or immoral acts
Adj. closely united
Adj. causing people to be closely united
N. a sudden invasion or attack : an act of entering a place or area that is controlled by an enemy
N. a place where objects are made by heating and shaping metal
V. to form (as metal) by heating and hammering; to form (metal) by a mechanical or hydraulic press with or without heat
V. to make or imitate falsely especially with intent to defraud
V. to move forward slowly and steadily
V. to move with a sudden increase of speed and power
Adj. very devoted or loyal to a person, belief, or cause; steadfast in loyalty or principle
Adj. Watertight, sound, strongly built
N. a sudden hostile incursion : raid
N. an advance or penetration often at the expense of someone or something
V. to utter taunting words; to deride or tease with taunting words
N. a narrow space in the surface of something; a space or opening made by or as if by splitting : fissure
N. a narrow area that looks like a small dent in someone's chin; a usually V-shaped indented formation : a hollow between ridges or protuberances
N. a disease or illness.
N. an unwholesome or disordered condition
V. to reach the end or the final result of something
V. to be the end or final result of (something)
V. to rise to or form a summit; to reach the highest or a climactic or decisive point
Adj. not interesting or exciting
Adj. lacking strong flavor
Adj. showing no emotion, concern, etc.
N. a person or thing that holds something together : the most important part of a complex situation or system
N. the act of destroying or damaging something deliberately so that it does not work correctly; destructive or obstructive action carried on by a civilian or enemy agent to hinder a nation's war effort
Adj. not having or showing a desire to be noticed, praised, etc.
N. lack of agreement between people, ideas, etc.
N. an unpleasant combination of musical notes
V. to slow the movement, progress, or action of (someone or something)
Adj. used to describe an angry or unhappy person who does not want to talk, smile, etc.; gloomily or resentfully silent or repressed.
Adj. dull or somber in sound or color
Adj. moving sluggishly
N. a situation in which two people, groups, etc., no longer have a friendly relationship; estrangement
N. a deep crack or opening in the ground, a rock, etc.; fissure, crevasse, fault
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Word Study List 9/7-12/6
BBC English at Work
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
3rd Grade WordMasters Challenge 2019-2020
5th grade WordMasters Challenge 2019-2020
4th Grade WordMasters Challenge 2019-2020
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
WordMasters Challenge Blue 8th grade list 1-2011
8th Grade LIST 2 (Jan-Feb 2012)
8th WM list 3
WordMasters 8th Grade List 1