• Category of crimes also called consensual crimes, vice crimes, public-order, and victim less crimes
• Policing morality vs the protection of society- state should stay out of business of conducting morality.
• Laws are more heavily on the prostitutes (already disadvantaged) than on the other person involved
• The alternative perspective: important to protect society. Gambling for example, They hurt the offenders families.
• Not just a matter of morality but also for the protection of society
• Do the laws against consensual crimes do more harm than good?
i. Influence police/ official corruption
ii. Lead consensual offenders to commit other types of crime
iii. Generate public disrespect for the law
iv. Divert time, energy, money from more serious crimes
v. Provide revenue for organized crime.