Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 14: Project Closure
Terms in this set (16)
What are the 3 major deliverables?
1) Wrapping up the project (Checklists are used)
- Final report writing (exec summary, analysis, recommendations, lessons learned, appendix)
2) Evaluation of performance and management of the project
(improve performance on current and future projects)
What are the 5 types of project closures?
1) Normal (completed project)
2) Premature (completed early with some parts of the project eliminated)l early entry
3) Perpetual (add-ons)
4) Failed project (easy to identify)
5) Changed priority
What is one of the biggest PMs challenge?
To keep the project team focused on the remaining project activities and delivery to the customer until the project is over.
What are 6 of the major wrap up activities?
1) Getting delivery acceptance from the customer
2) shutting down resources and releasing to new uses
3) reassigning team members
4) closing accounts and paying bills
5) delivering the project to the customer
6) creating the final report
What is the purpose of project evaluation?
To assess how well the project team, team members, and project manager performed
Why is the quality of project performance evaluations often poor?
Because evaluations are left to supervisors of the team member's home dept not PM, measure team performance only on time, cost and specifications
3) standards of performance not well-established or ocmmunicated
How to conduct performance reviews?
1) ask the person to evaluate his or her own performance
2) avoid drawing comparisons with other team members; rather assess individual in terms of established standards and expectations
3) Focus criticism on specific behaviours rather than on the individual personality
4) Be consistent and fair in treatment of all team members
5) treat the review as one point in an ongoing process
Which individuals can conduct performance reviews at the end of the project?
- functional area manager
- balanced matrix pm and area manager
- project pm
- getting feedback from everyone that their work effects
What 2 functions do performance appraisals fulfil?
1) Identifying individual strengths and weaknesses; Developing action plans for improving performance
2) how well the person has performed and to determine salary/merit
Represent an analysis carried out during and shortly after the project cycle
- attempt to capture positive and negative project learning
- what worked and what did not
What are the goals of retrospectives?
1) to reuse learned solutions
2) To stop repetitive mistakes
What is retrospective?
A methodology that analyze a past project event to determine what worked and what did not, develops lessons learned, creates an action plan that ensures lessons learned are used to improve management of future projects
How to conduct a retrospective analysis?
1) Identify and define standards (scope and other planning docs)
2) Collect and analyze data (status reports, cost files, resource files, schedule files, performance metrics), surveys, interviews, walk-throughs
3) report and review results
How to make retrospectives effective?
1) Mandate use of retrospectives as part of the normal process for all projects
2) use an independent facilitator
3) conduct reviews carefully and with sensitivity
4) develop an easy to use learning repository to ensure future utilization of retrospective lessons
5) Project closures should be planned and orderly
6) conduct individuals and team evaluations separate from pay of merit reviews
barriers to learning
1) psychological (inability to reflect memory bias)
2) Team-based (reluctance to blame; poor internal communication)
3) Epistemological (difficult to generalize)
(Tactiness to process knowledge)
4) Managerial (time constraints; bureaucratic OH); do not value learnings
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Strategic Management - Theory and Practice | John…
Chapter 14 Project Closure
Chapter 8: Performance Management
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 3: The Poilce
Chapter 4: Criminal Profiling
Chapter 10: Intimate Partner Violence, Stalking, a…
Chapter 11: Sexual Offenders and Victims
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Business Project Management - Chap 11
MGT 2510: Project Management Ch. 12
Chapter 11: Managing Project Teams
Project Management Chapter 14