Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
Terms in this set (23)
to be founded on the twelve apostles
the christian person's activity that fulfills the apostolic nature of the whole Church when he or she works to extend the Kingdom of Christ to the entire world
one who has received the fullness of the Sacrament of Holy Orders and is a successor to the apostles
of or relating to the church
of or relating to the bishop
religious painting traditional among many astern christians. christians iconography expresses in image the same gospel message that the scriptures communicate by words
a screen or partition with doors and tiers of icons that separates the bema, the raised part of the church with the altar, from the nave, the main part of the church , in eastern churches
all members of the church, with the exception of those who are ordained or in the concerted life. the laity shares in Christ's role as priest, prophet, and king, witnessing to God's love and power in the world
Sacrament of Holy Orders
the sacrament by which members of the church are ordained for permanent ministry in the church as bishops, priests, or deacons
from the latin tradere, meaning "to hand on". refers to the process of passing on the gospel message. it began with the oral communication of the gospel by the apostles, was written down in the scriptures, and is interpreted by the magisterium under the guidance of the holy spirit.
1. How is the Church catholic in two senses?
1) christ is present in her and christ has given her the fullness of the means of salvation
2) the Church reaches throughout the world to all people
-christ has sent her to gather all people & times
2. What are three divine gifts the Holy Spirit has given to the Church?
1) fulness of faith
2) the fullness of all the seven sacraments
3) fullness of the ordained ministry passed down the Apostles
3. Why does the Church of Rome have special authority?
established under the authority of the apostles
-two great Apostles, PETER & PAUL, had proclaimed the gospel there and were martyred in Rome
4. Why does the Church have a unique relationship with Judaism?
1 our faith in one God
2 Jesus himself was a Jew
3 god revealed himself to the Jewish people through old covenants
4 the jewish faith is a response to his revelation
5. What is a similarity between Islam and the Church?
christians and muslims acknowledge belief in one God
6. Identify the ways the practices of Eastern Catholic Churches differ from the practices of the Latin Church.
-the use of icons is central
- an iconostasis ( a wall with doors, decorated with icons) separates the altar from the rest of the church
- married men can be ordained into the priesthood
7. In what three ways is the Church apostolic?
-the church was built on the "foundation of the Apostles"
-with the help of the holy Spirit, the church preserves and hands on teaching of the Apostles and their successors
-the church continues to be taught, made holy, and led by the Apostles through their successors who are the college of bishops, assisted by priests, in union with the pope
8. Describe how Jesus joined the Apostles to the mission the Father had sent him on.
Jesus commissioned his apostles: "As the father has sent me, so I send you". jesus relied on the power of his father and the Apostles relied on the power and authority Jesus gave them to serve in his name and act in his person
9. Define "Apostolic Succession".
is the process by which Christ commanded the Apostles to spread the good news of salvation to all people. the apostles then successors (the bishops) and passed them on to them the authority to teach and interpret the Scriptures and Sacred Tradition they received from Jesus
10. Why is Apostolic Succession necessary?
in this way the bishops and the entire Church, in "her doctrine, life, and worship" proclaim the redemption found in christ
-apostolic succession is a source of unity in the church, ensuring the handing on the truths christ taught
11. What is a vocation that every member of the Church shares?
to extend the Kingdom of Christ to the entire world
books of the bible
Sets found in the same folder
Unit 4 (theology)
Chapter 5 Vocab Quiz
Salvation and Mission
Sets with similar terms
the church: chapter seven
the church: chapter seven
Theology Unit 5
Other sets by this creator
Psych exam 3
Religion: Exam 12
Other Quizlet sets
Neuroscience - CNS Development
Pharmacoeconomic Techniques - Dr. Wang -…
What are the three promises of the davidic covenant
What are the TWO active archaeologic sites that we get all our history from
What Pharisee defended the preaching of the disciples? What is his recommended course of action
who wrote first and second corinthians?