Wordmaster's 6th Grade Year Set
Terms in this set (75)
-Form of heat transfer (v)
-how a person behaves (n)
- organize and carry out (v)
think about something carefully
determined to have one's own way; willful; stubborn; obstinate:
a __________ young man.
an object fired from a gun with an explosive propelling charge, such as a bullet, shell, rocket, or grenade.
to _________ the lobby.
tightly drawn; tense; not slack.
in good order or condition; tidy; neat.
-any article used in some activity, especially an instrument, tool, or utensil
- to put into effect (idea or decision)
to refrain from claiming or insisting on; give up; forgo:
to _____ one's right; to waive one's rank; to _____ honors.
humbly patient or gentle, as under provocation from others.
the act of keeping back, withholding, or setting apart.
a tract of public land set apart for a special purpose, as for the use of an Indian tribe.
to swing or move to and fro, as a pendulum does.
Carefully weighed or considered; studied; intentional
Money that is paid or received for work or services, as by the hour, day, or week.
To vary irregularly; to go up and down or back and forth in waves
characterized by sudden or rash action, emotion, etc.; impulsive (adj)
ex. an _________ decision; an _________ person.
the state of ________ or being at rest; rest; sleep.
to determine or ascertain by mathematical methods; compute
ex. to _________ the velocity of light.
In its original purity; uncorrupted; pure; fresh, clean, unspoiled.
Human effort directed toward producing goods and services.
cover with dots of paint etc. cover with dots of paint
(adj.) resulting from lack of attention; unintentional, accidental
something that hangs and swings back and forth
The process of restoring the scene to as nearly normal as possible is called :
extremely careful; taking pains
-an arm or leg or wing
noun or verb
1. one of the small, polished plane surface of a cut gem
2. aspect; phase
1. to renounce or surrender: give up
3. let go; release
adjective, verb or noun
1. spotted or blotched in coloring: _______ coloring or pattern
2.to mark or diversify with spots or blotches of a different color or shade
verb and noun
1. to roar and be tumultuous, as wind to be loud, noisy, or swaggering; utter loud, empty menaces or protests: boisterous noise and violence
1. to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition
2. to bring about through the use of force or other forms of compulsion; exact
3. to dominate or control, especially by exploiting fear, anxiety, etc.
1. free from commotion or tumult; peaceful; quiet; calm
1. well born and well-bred people
2. the class below the nobility
3. an upper or ruling class; aristocracy
1. to forbid (an action, activity, etc.) by authority or law
2. to prevent; hinder
1. effusively and almost uninhibitedly enthusiastic; lavishly; abundant
2. abounding in vitality; extremely joyful and vigorous
3. extremely good; overflowing
1. an unscrupulous and ruthless subordinate, especially a criminal
2. a trusted attendant, supporter, or follower
3. a square or page
1. to keep possession of
2. to continue to use, practice, etc.
3. to keep in mind; remember
noun, adverb, and adjective
1. showing great joy, satisfaction, or triumph; rejoicing; exultant
verb and noun
1. to delay the impending punishment or sentence (a condemned person)
2. to relieve temporarily from any evil a warrant authorizing this
verb and noun
1. to soil, stain, or tarnish
2. to mar, the purity or luster of; defile a stain; soil
adjective and noun
1. utterly unyielding in altitude or opinion in spite of all appeals, urging, etc.
2. too hard to cut, break or pierce
3. any impenetrably or unyieldingly hard surface
noun and verb
1. a delay or cessation for a time, especially of anything distressing or trying; and interval of relief
2. temporary suspension of the execution of a person condemned to death; reprieve
3. to grant delay in the carrying out of punishment, obligation, etc.
verb and noun
1. to feel or express sorrow or regret for
2. to mourn for or over
1. rough and noisy; noisily jolly or rowdy; clamorous; unrestrained
2. (or waves, weather, wind, etc.) rough and stormy
3. rough and massive
noun and verb
1. a disorderly crowd; mob
2. the ______, the lower classes; the common people
3. to beset as a ______ does; mob
1. to quit or leave entirely; abandon; desert
2. to give up or renounce (a habit, way of life, etc.)
1. expressing sorrow or melancholy; mournful
noun and adjective
1. a constituent part; element; ingredient
2. a part of a mechanical or electrical system
3. Physics. the projection of a vector quantity as force or velocity, along, analysis
1. to endeavor to influence (a person) by smooth, flattering, or beguiling words or acts
2. to persuade (a person) by such words or acts to obtain (something) by artful persuasions
1. faultless; flawless; irreproachable
2. not liable to sin; incapable of sin
noun and verb
1. any of the major appearances or aspects in which a thing of varying modes or conditions manifests itself to the eye or mind
2. a stage in a process of charge or development
3. a side, aspect, or point of view
1. a sudden feeling of sickness or nausea
2. a pang or sudden feeling of doubt, especially concerning moral conduct; scruple
3. a sudden sensation of misgiving or unease
verb (used with object)
1. to abrogate; annul; revoke; repeal.
2. to invalidate (an act, measure, etc.) by a later action or a higher authority.
1. stopping or ceasing for a time; alternately ceasing and beginning again: an ____________ pain.
2. alternately functioning and not functioning or alternately functioning properly and improperly.
3. (of streams, lakes, or springs) recurrent; showing water only part of the time.
1. vigorous or bitter conflict, discord, or antagonism: to be at ______.
2. a quarrel, struggle, or clash: armed ______.
3. competition or rivalry: the ______ of the marketplace.
4. Archaic: strenuous effort.
verb (used with object)
1. to draw back or in; shrink: to _______ fangs.
2. to withdraw (a statement, opinion, etc.) as inaccurate or unjustified, especially formally or explicitly; take back.
3. to withdraw or revoke (a decree, promise, etc.).
adjective, ______er, ______est
1. joyous, merry, or gay in disposition; glad; cheerful: Everyone loved her for her ______ spirit.
2. without thought or regard; carefree; heedless: a ______ indifference to anyone's feelings.
1. exhibiting great diversity of elements: a ______ crowd.
2. being of different colors combined: a ______ flower border.
3. wearing a party-colored garment: a ______ fool.
noun, plural ______s.
4. a combination of different colors.
5. a party-colored effect.
6. the party-colored garment of a jester.
7. a heterogeneous assemblage.
verb (used with object)
1. to shine with or reflect a subdued, tremulous light; gleam faintly.
2. to appear to quiver or vibrate in faint light or while reflecting heatwaves.
3. a subdued, tremulous light or gleam.
4. a quivering or vibrating motion or image as produced by reflecting faint light or heat waves.
1. soft and limp; not firm; flabby: _______ biceps.
2. lacking force; weak: _______ prose.
1. belonging or pertaining to the common people.
2. or, relating to, or belonging to the ancient roman plebs.
3. common, commonplace, or vulgar: a ________ joke.
1. a member of the common people.
2. a member of the ancient Roman plebs.
verb (used with object), ______d, _____ing
1. to contrive, plan, or elaborate; invent from existing principles or ideas: to ______ a method.
2. Law. to assign or transmit (property) by will.
3. Archaic. to imagine; suppose.
1. incapable of being terminated; unending: an ____________ job.
2. monotonously or annoyingly protracted or continued; unceasing; incessant: I can't stand that ____________ clatter.
3. having no limits: an ____________ desert.
1. a sudden, unpredictable change, as of one's mind or the weather.
2. a tendency to change one's mind without apparent or adequate motive; whimsicality; ______iousness: With the _______ of a despotic king, he alternated between kindness and cruelty.
3. Music. ______cio (def 1.)
1. a final product or end result; consequence; issue.
2. a conclusion reached through a process of logical thinking.
1. easily bent; flexible; supple: _______ leather.
2. easily influenced or persuaded; yielding: the _______ mind of youth.
3. adjusting readily to change; adaptable.
1. a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project.
2. an underhand plot; intrigue.
3. a visionary or impractical project.
4. a body or system of related doctrines, theories, etc.: a ______ of philosophy.
5. any system of correlated things, parts, etc., or the manner of its arrangement.
verb (used with object), _____ed, _____ing.
6. to devise as a ______; plan; plot; contrive.
7. to lay ______s; devise plans; plot
1. a great wave or surge of the sea.
2. any surging mass: ______s of smoke.
verb (used without object)
3. to rise or roll in or like ______s; surge.
4. to swell out, puff up, etc., as by the action of wind: flags ______ing in the breeze.
1. the act of sending out or putting forth; promulgation; distribution: the _____ of food and blankets to flood victims.
2. something that is printed or published and distributed, especially a given number of a periodical: Have you seen the latest _____ of the magazine?
3. something that is sent out or put forth in any form.
4. a quantity of something that is officially offered for sale or put into circulation at one time: a new _____ of commemorative stamps; a new bond _____.
5. a point in question or a matter that is in dispute, as between contending parties in an action at law.
verb (used with object), _____d, ____ing.
1. to put out; deliver for use, sale, etc.; put into circulation.
2. to mint, print, or publish for sale or distribution:: to _____ a new coin; to _____ a new book.
3. to distribute (food, clothing, etc.) to one or more officers or enlisted soldiers or to a military unit.
4. to send out; discharge; emit.
1. a very harsh, bright, dazzling light: in the glare of sunlight.
2. a fiercely or angrily piercing stare.
3. dazzling or showy appearance; showiness.
verb (used without object), _____d, ____ing.
1. to shine with or reflect a very harsh, bright, dazzling light
2. to stare with a fiercely or angrily piercing look.
3. Archaic. to appear conspicuous; stand out obtrusively.
verb (used without object), ________d, _______ing.
1. to move with a sinuous or wavelike motion; display a smooth rising-and-falling or side-to-side alternation of movement: the flag ________s in the breeze.
2. to have a wavy form or surface; bend with successive curves in alternate directions.
3. (of a sound) to rise and fall in pitch: the wail of a siren _______ing in the distance.
1. Also, ________d. having a wavelike or rippled form, surface, edge, etc; wavy.
1. without solace; hopelessly unhappy; inconsolable: Loss of her pet dog made her ____________.
2. characterized by or causing dejection; cheerless; gloomy: ____________ prospects.
1. lacking food, clothing, and other necessities of life because of poverty; needy; poor; impoverished.
2. Archaic. deficient in what is requisite. destitute (usually followed by of).
3. a person who is ________.
verb (used with object), ______ed, ______ing.
1. (especially of laws or other established rules, usages, etc.) to make void or null; abolish; cancel; invalidate: to _____ a marriage.
2. to reduce to nothing; obliterate.
3. to cancel (a regularly scheduled train, plane, social event, etc.) for one day or one time only.
1. unwilling; disinclined: a _________ candidate.
2. struggling in opposition
1. a person of noble or high rank; aristocrat.
2. a person of very good background, education, and refinement.
3. a member of the original senatorial aristocracy in ancient Rome.
4. (under the later Roman and Byzantine empires) a title or dignity conferred by the emperor.
5. a member of a hereditary ruling class in certain medieval German, Swiss, and Italian free cities.
1. of high social rank or noble family; aristocratic.
2. befitting or characteristic of persons of very good background, education, and refinement: _________ tastes.
3. of or belonging to the _________ families of ancient Rome.