1. injured cells release inflammatory chemicals (histamine, kinins)
2. histamine and kinins cause blood vessels to dilate and capillaries to become leaky as well as active pain receptors and attract phagocytes and WBCs to area
3. plasma leaks from blood, causing edema which also activates pain receptors (edema may prevent proper functioning of joint, aiding healing)
4. neutrophils enter via diapedesis and phagocytize debris. clotting proteins activated fom fibrin mesh, local heat increases meabolic rate of tissue cells, aiding healing
5. monocytes become macophages, replacing neutrophils and doing most of the rest of the work
6. Third line of defense activated?