Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
History Chapter 8
Terms in this set (43)
George Washington created this group, consisting of the Secretary of Treasury and the Secretary of State.
only part of Alexander Hamilton's financial plan not to pass
PART 3: Called for a high tariff
The Nation's First Economic Crisis
• Debt from war -> $52 million in the form of bonds
- Original bond buyers sold bonds for less money
- These speculators then sold the bonds for more
Whose responsibility is it to solve the financial crisis?
Abilities of the National Bank
- Lend the gov't money and hold its deposits
- Give Americans a uniformed currency
- Promote business and industry by providing credit
• People should have political power
- National Bank
- Protective tariff
- Strong state government
- Strict interpretation of the Constitution
• Emphasized agriculture
• Supported by:
- Southern planters
- Northern famers
• Believed wealthy and educated should lead
- Strong central government
- Loose interpretation of the Constitution
- National Bank - Protective tariff
• Emphasized manufacturing, shipping, and trade
• Supported by:
- Property owners
- Ordinary workers who relied on manufacturing and trade
- Strong in the North
Why did Federalists mistrust Aliens?
because they are outsiders, they are not U.S. citizens, and they might have dangerous ideas.
Cause of political parties
• Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson's beliefs began to differ
- One group supported Jefferson (and Madison) • Republicans
• 1793: Jefferson resigned as Secretary of State
- One group supported Hamilton • Federalists
The Jay Treaty:
USA AGREED TO..
• Pay debts long owed to British merchants
• Agreed to:
- Pay for ships it had seized
- Withdraw troops from NW and stop aiding Native Americans
• Refused to:
- Recognize US right to trade with France
- End impressment of US soldiers
• French government attacked American merchant ships
• French gov't agents demanded $250,000 and for US to lend $ • Name of agents never release= X, Y, Z
mistrust of immigrants
• Increased time limit to become a citizen from 5 to 14
• President gained power to deport of imprison any alien considered dangerous
limited free speech
• Crime for anyone to write or say insulting or false
statements about the President, Congress, or the gov't
- USA had a functioning federal government - Improving economy
Why did America have to fix their relationship with England?
American economy depended on British trade
• Purchased 75% of US exports
• Supplied 90% of US imports
How can States' rights be used to oppose federal laws?
each state gets to look at laws that were passed and determine whether or not they want to nullify it.
Why did Republicans want to nullify the Alien and Sedition acts?
they charged it as unconstitutional.
Why did newspaper editors accused of sedition tend to be Republicans?
- the government tended to be act targeting Republicans with the Sedition Act.
- The government was federalists.
Strict-Interpretation of Constitution
Loose-Interpretation of Constitution
How did John Jay avoid war?
John Jay made the Jay Treaty that compromised with France
A certificate issued by the government for an amount of money that the government promises to pay back with interestA certificate issued by the government for an amount of money that the government promises to pay back with interest
Hamilton's financial plan
The government would fully assume all federal and state debts. The government would charter a national bank. The government would impose a high tax on goods imported into the country.y assume all federal and state debts. The government would charter a national bank. The government would impose a high tax on goods imported into the country.
the Whiskey Rebellion
The reaction to a tax on all whiskey made and sold in the United States
Republican- He argued that a National Bank went against the constitution because he followed a strict interpretation of the constitution.
Two members of Washington's cabinet who disagreed with one another
Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton
Political party emphasized manufacturing, trade, and shipping
the Federalist party
Political party that opposed the national bank.
The runner-up of an election
the vice president
Group that the USA conflicted with domestically
the Native Americans
Controversial and violent event that mirrored the American Revolution
the French Revolution
Battle that broke Native Americans control in the NW territory
the Battle of Fallen Timbers
Two things Washington warned against when he retired
permanent alliances and political parties
Title given to the bribe requested from France
the XYZ Affair
Two reasons France was angered by the USA
US neutrality and the Jay Treaty
Act set up because of the mistrust of immigrants
the Alien Act
the Sedition Act
Act created limited freedom of speech specifically about the government
The impact of the Alien and Sedition Act
the realization that states have the right to nullify laws
Creator of the national bank
First Supreme Court Justice of the USA
In this year, John Adams took office as the second president of the USA
Led tension between France and the USA during Adams's presidency
United States' stance on involvement among England and France
How did Clinton attempt to address social concerns early on in his presidency - high rates of violent crime?
Which group of people was primarily responsible for constructing the Transcontinental Railroad from California eastward?
"..acted contrary to senatorial ethics and tended to bring the Senate into dishonor and disrepute, to obstruct the constitutional processes of the Senate, and to impair its dignity; and such conduct is hereby condemned"
5. Based on the excerpt above, what role should the United States play in the world?
Sets found in the same folder
American History Chapter 9 Section 1
History G4 Chapter 11
American History Chapter 8 Section 3
Sets with similar terms
Chapter 8 Test: Launching a New Nation
9 The New Republic Begins
APUSH Chapter 10 Notes
sas 8th grade us history chapter 9 the federalist…
Other sets by this creator
A&P Lab Midterm on Tuesday 10/19
The Microscope parts
Ethics Midterm Today
A&P Quiz #5 (integumentary system)
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 7 Post Test
Alexander and Washington review
Level and Branch Practice
Use your notes to write a paragraph identifying characteristics of the Olmec, Zapotec, and Chavin civilizations.
What factors did the Ottoman, Safavid, and Mogul Empires have in common that helped unify them? Give details that support your answer.
How does Tacitus show his objectivity in this account of the fire?
How did the war contribute to the mass murder of the Armenian people?