5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- George Pulunkitt
- Scott joplin
- Lester Frank Ward
- a important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
- b covered with gold on outside but made of cheap material inside. appears to sparkle but Twain and Warner pointed out that beneath the surface lay curruption, poverty, and crime.
- c published "Dynamic Sociology" which took ideas of Darwinism and argued that human beings were diff from animals in nature b/c they had the ability to think and make plans to produce future outcomes.His ideas became "Reform Darwinism" he said that people succeeded in the world because of their ability to cooperate. he believed competition was wasteful.
- d one of New York's most powerful party bosses
- e argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
5 Multiple choice questions
- led the Social Gospel movement. he believed competition was the cause of social problems.
- established settlement homes in poor neighborhoods, where middle-class residents lived and helped poor.
- tried to apply "christian law" to social problems.
- novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner, it was a time of marvels where amazing new inventions led to rapid industrial growth.
- getting money through dishonest or questionable means. Plunkitt defended "honest graft"
5 True/False questions
party bosses → ran political machines. provided jobs housing food and heat to city dwellers.
Social Darwinism → danish-born journalist who observed that a map of NYC ,"colored to designate nationalities, would show more stripes that on the skin of a zebra" also documented slum life in his book How the Other Half Lives
Herbert Spencer → proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
nativism → argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
Horatio ALger → no one expressed the idea of indivudualism better than him. wrote "rags-to-riches" album