5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Herbert Spencer
- Gospel of Wealth
- Henry George
- Coney Island
- Gilded Age
- a proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
- b had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
- c novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner, it was a time of marvels where amazing new inventions led to rapid industrial growth.
- d published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
- e Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
5 Multiple choice questions
- established settlement homes in poor neighborhoods, where middle-class residents lived and helped poor.
- no one expressed the idea of indivudualism better than him. wrote "rags-to-riches" album
- covered with gold on outside but made of cheap material inside. appears to sparkle but Twain and Warner pointed out that beneath the surface lay curruption, poverty, and crime.
- political machine for which George Plunkitt performed his labors.
- important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
5 True/False questions
naturalism → extreme dislike for immigrants by native-born people and a desire to limit immigration
individualism → argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
Social Darwinism → danish-born journalist who observed that a map of NYC ,"colored to designate nationalities, would show more stripes that on the skin of a zebra" also documented slum life in his book How the Other Half Lives
Angel Island → had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
Ellis Island → had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides