5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Scott joplin
- Social Darwinism
- Jane Addams
- a most basic and cheepest accommodations on a steamship.
- b a process in which immigrants became knowledgeable about american culture and to assimilate immigrants into american culture. public schools were crucial for this.
- c reinforced idea of individualism. Herbert Spenceer proposed this idea.
- d important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
- e established settlement homes in poor neighborhoods, where middle-class residents lived and helped poor.
5 Multiple choice questions
- argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
- law barred Chinese immigration for 10 years and prevented the Chinese already in the country from becoming citizens
- music echoed the hectic pace of city life
- led the Social Gospel movement. he believed competition was the cause of social problems.
- an irish immigrant who organized Workingman's Party of California
5 True/False questions
party bosses → ran political machines. provided jobs housing food and heat to city dwellers.
Edward Bellamy → posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
American Protective Association → one of the anti-immigrant organizations that was lead by Henry Bowers who despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration.
Gospel of Wealth → one of New York's most powerful party bosses
realism → attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done