5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Lester Frank Ward
- Washington Gladden
- Henry George
- Gospel of Wealth
- William M. "Boss" Tweed
- a tried to apply "christian law" to social problems.
- b Tammany Hall's leader who got sent to prison in 1874 for his curroption
- c published "Dynamic Sociology" which took ideas of Darwinism and argued that human beings were diff from animals in nature b/c they had the ability to think and make plans to produce future outcomes.His ideas became "Reform Darwinism" he said that people succeeded in the world because of their ability to cooperate. he believed competition was wasteful.
- d Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
- e published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
5 Multiple choice questions
- posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
- led the Social Gospel movement. he believed competition was the cause of social problems.
- had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
- california opened barracks on this place to accomodate the asian immigrants who awaited the results of their immigration hearings in packed dorms.
- getting money through dishonest or questionable means. Plunkitt defended "honest graft"
5 True/False questions
Scott joplin → had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
tenements → dark and crowded mjulti-family apartments
Louis Sullivan → immigrants passed through it in about a day. very hectic. immigrants filed past the doctor for an inspection.
Chinese Exclusion Act → had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
vaudeville → took on American flavor in early 1990s with its hodgepodge of animal acts, acrobats, gymnastics, and dancers.