5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gospel of Wealth
- taping rebellion
- Chinese Exclusion Act
- a attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done
- b getting money through dishonest or questionable means. Plunkitt defended "honest graft"
- c law barred Chinese immigration for 10 years and prevented the Chinese already in the country from becoming citizens
- d insurrection against chinese government took 20 million lives and caused thousands of chinese to leave for US
- e Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
5 Multiple choice questions
- one of New York's most powerful party bosses
- argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
- immigrants passed through it in about a day. very hectic. immigrants filed past the doctor for an inspection.
- published "Looking Backward" novel about man who fell asleep in 1887 and wakes up in year 2000 in a "perfect society" with no crime or poverty and the govt owns all industry and shares equally with americans. These ideas were a form of socialism
- one of the anti-immigrant organizations that was lead by Henry Bowers who despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration.
5 True/False questions
Henry Bowers → published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
Frank J. Sprague → most basic and cheepest accommodations on a steamship.
Lester Frank Ward → proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
William M. "Boss" Tweed → Tammany Hall's leader who got sent to prison in 1874 for his curroption
Gilded → covered with gold on outside but made of cheap material inside. appears to sparkle but Twain and Warner pointed out that beneath the surface lay curruption, poverty, and crime.