5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- political machine
- Workingman's Party of California
- Denis Kearney
- Tammany Hall
- Washington Gladden
- a political machine for which George Plunkitt performed his labors.
- b an informal political group designed to gain and keep power, came about partly because cities had grown much faster than their govts.
- c tried to apply "christian law" to social problems.
- d another anti-immigrant organization to fight Chinese immigration organized by Denis Kearney.
- e an irish immigrant who organized Workingman's Party of California
5 Multiple choice questions
- developed the electric trolley car
- one of New York's most powerful party bosses
- important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
- immigrants passed through it in about a day. very hectic. immigrants filed past the doctor for an inspection.
- proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
5 True/False questions
Jane Addams → attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done
American Protective Association → a process in which immigrants became knowledgeable about american culture and to assimilate immigrants into american culture. public schools were crucial for this.
Gospel of Wealth → reinforced idea of individualism. Herbert Spenceer proposed this idea.
steerage → most basic and cheepest accommodations on a steamship.
graft → getting money through dishonest or questionable means. Plunkitt defended "honest graft"