5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Scott joplin
- Louis Sullivan
- Henry Bowers
- Edward Steiner
- a posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
- b despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration and lead the American Protective Association
- c important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
- d no one contributed more to the design of skyscrapers than him.
- e covered with gold on outside but made of cheap material inside. appears to sparkle but Twain and Warner pointed out that beneath the surface lay curruption, poverty, and crime.
5 Multiple choice questions
- insurrection against chinese government took 20 million lives and caused thousands of chinese to leave for US
- another anti-immigrant organization to fight Chinese immigration organized by Denis Kearney.
- attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done
- published "Looking Backward" novel about man who fell asleep in 1887 and wakes up in year 2000 in a "perfect society" with no crime or poverty and the govt owns all industry and shares equally with americans. These ideas were a form of socialism
- president of Chicago YMCA
5 True/False questions
Denis Kearney → published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
American Protective Association → one of the anti-immigrant organizations that was lead by Henry Bowers who despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration.
Gilded Age → novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner, it was a time of marvels where amazing new inventions led to rapid industrial growth.
Horatio ALger → argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
Frank J. Sprague → developed the electric trolley car