5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are cahiers?
- What is the Social Contract and who wrote it?
- State of Nature
- How does Deism relate to the Enlightenment?
- What is Deism?
- a Before there was government when humans were free to do whatever they wished
- b Rousseau's idea that the government has the right to protect the citizen's unalienable rights and that there is a contract between the people and the government. The government has the responsibility to protect the people, but the people have to give up some of their rights they had in the state of nature. If the people don't like the government, they can replace it.
- c They both believe in reason, rationality, logic, etc.
- d The idea that god is a clockmaker: he created the world and stepped back and watched it go. The idea that human beings determine the future and make decisions.
- e Notebooks of grievances given to the king brought by the third estate to the estates-general meeting
5 Multiple choice questions
- Marie and Louis were incompetent rulers
- Political, intellectual, economic, and social
- She never said it, they were just rumors
- He thought the world would be better without it. He said "religion is nothing but mere superstition"
5 True/False questions
Rousseau → philosophe, enlightenment thinker, came up with idea of general will
Bossuet → philosophe, enlightenment thinker, came up with idea of general will
What was the major cause of bankruptcy of France? → Versailles
French term for "old regime" → "Ancien Regime." Means "old ways [of doing things]"
Who said "C'etatast moi" or "i am the state"? → Bishop Boussett