Among the Hidden Q and A
These are Battle of the Books questions for the book Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Terms in this set (110)
1. What question word wasn't commonly asked in the Garner home?
(Why?) p. 1
2. Why did Mr. Garner sell the woods on their property?
(the Government wanted it to build houses) p. 2
3. What did Luke sometimes picture as a very big, mean, fat person who went around yelling at people. "Not allowed!"
(the Government) p. 2
4. What is the name of the garner's first-born son?
(Matthew) p. 4
5. What is the name of the Garner's second-born son?
(Mark) p. 4
6. When Mark celebrated his sixth birthday, what did he wish he could have?
(a party) p.7
7. What kind of jam was dripping down the sides of the Luke's sixth birthday cake?
(raspberry) p. 7
8. In the beginning of the book, what window was Luke not allowed to look out because people might catch a glimpse of his face?
(kitchen side window) p. 8
9. What is the name of the law that forbids people to have more than two children?
(the Population Law) p. 10
10. What object in the livingroom was Luke not allowed to use?
( the television) p. 10
11. How many sons did Mrs. Garner originally wish to have?
(four - "Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, bless the bed that I lie on.") p. 11
12. What toy, which Luke played with in his room, once belonged to his grandfather?
(toy train) p. 12
13. What branch of the law enforced the Population Law?
(the Population Police) p. 10
14. Where was Luke's room located in the house?
(in the attic) Why? (It had no windows) p. 14
15. Who often played the "Population Police" joke on Luke always out of his parents' earshot?
(Mark) p. 14
16. What game did Mark offer to play with Luke in his room?
(checkers) p. 14
17. What collection of models does Luke have in his room?
(model cars) p. 15
18. As the woods disappeared, Mr. Garner only allowed Luke in a room where the windows were what?
(covered) p. 12, 15
19. What "windows" did Luke discover in his room?
(the ceiling vents on either side of his room) p. 16
20. Other than his family, what one human being had he caught a glimpse of while hiding under the sink in the mud room?
(A tramp) p. 17
21. After a construction worker had asked about whether the Garner's had air conditioning, where was Luke to now eat his meals?
(on the bottom steps of the stairs) p. 20-21
22. What was in the government letter that was a blow to the Garner family?
(They had to sell all their hogs because the people in the newly built homes wouldn't be able to stand the pig smell) p. 25
23. Which Garner boy dreamed of owning his own hog farm some day?
(Matthew) p. 25
24. What was the name of the Garner's nearest neighbour before the new houses were built?
(the Willikers) p. 28
25. What arrived in the mail the day the Garner's got rid of their hogs?
(the tax bill) p. 27
26. What does Mrs. Garner call the times in the day when she goes up to Luke's room to visit and talk with him?
("my Luke breaks") p. 28
27. Where does Mrs. Garner work in order to bring in more money for the tax bill?
(a (chicken processing) factory) p. 30
28. What is the name for people who are unbelievably rich and had things ordinary people hadn't had in years?
(Barons) p. 31
29. What do Mr. Garner, Matthew, and Mark call clothes such as clean dress pants, jackets and shiny shoes?
(sissy clothes) p. 31
30. Who taught Luke to read and do math?
(Mrs. Garner) p. 32
31. Name two books on farming/agriculture that Luke read to pass time?
("Diseases of the Porcine Species" and "Common Grasses of our Countryside") p. 31
32. During their lunches together, what did Mr. Garner and Luke usually do?
(listen to the radio; no talking) p. 33
33. When Mrs. Garner came home at 6:30pm, what was the first thing she would do?
(stop in and say hi to Luke in his room) p. 33
34. Before the woods came down, what games did Luke play with his brothers outside?
(kick ball, football, or spud) p. 34
35. What story about the factory was Luke's mom telling him when he was tucked in for the last time?
(how her plastic glove had gotten stuck in a chicken she'd de-gutted that day) p. 34
36. What were some of the "family" names that Luke made up for his new neighbours?
(Big Car, Gold, Birdbrain and Sports Families) p. 37
37. Who finds Luke downstairs in the kitchen, the day Luke was cleaning up the house and cooking bread?
(Mr. Garner/his dad) p. 38-39
38. What was Luke's dad hoping to buy at the auction in Chytlesville?
(A tractor) p. 46
39. When Mark made a negative comment on the bread that Luke made, what did Luke threaten that he put in one of the loaves?
(poison that only affects 14 year olds) p. 46
40. What "family" had all their windows totally blocked, covered by heavy blinds?
(the "Sports" family) p. 48
41. What did Luke see in a window at the Sports' Family house the day his dad caught him cleaning the house?
(a child's face) p. 41
42. Why did Matthew and Mark stay out of/miss school for some time?
(helped bring crops in - harvest time) p. 51
43. In the month of October, what does Luke plan to do?
(sneak into the Sports' Family's house and meet the other third child) p. 52
44. What is the term that describes the ability of people calling out to you were in danger?
(telepathy) p. 55
45. When Luke got to the screen door of the Sports Family home what did he discover?
(it was locked) p. 55
46. How did Luke get into the Sports Family's home the first time he went there?
(he broke the screen, fiddled with the lock until he heard it click, and, then, opened the door) p. 56
47. What word came to mind when Luke saw the white rugs, freshly painted walls, sparkling glass table, and polished wood floors of the Sports Family's home?
("pristine") p. 57
48. What was Jen doing when Luke first saw her?
(typing on the computer) p. 58
49. What went off the minute Luke stepped onto the Sports Family's property?
(the alarm system) p. 58
50. What is Population Law 3903?
(the law which states that is illegal to have three children) p. 59
51. What term does Jen introduce to Luke that refers to all third children?
(shadow child) p.60
52. How does Jen get the security company to cancel the alarm call?
(she calls her dad) p. 61
53. What is Jen's full name?
(Jennifer Rose Talbot) p. 63
54. What is the name of Luke's parents?
(Edna and Harlan) p. 63
55. Who said, "Forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff. I'm your ticket out?"
(Jen) p. 65
56. What two objects did the Government try to convince people that it could monitor within individual homes?
(television and computer) p. 68
57. What signal did Luke and Jen set up that would indicate that Luke could come over?
(turning on their backdoor lights at 9 am) p. 69
58. What are the names of Jen's two brothers?
(Buellton and Brownley) p. 70
59. What names does Jen use for her brothers?
(Bull and Brown) p. 69
60. Why did Jen's mom have a third child?
(She wanted a girl) p. 70
61. All three husbands of Jen's mom ere what?
(lawyers) p. 72
62. Who does Jen's step-dad work for?
(the Government) p. 72
63. In order to hide Luke's blood spots on the carpet from breaking the screen door, what does Jen do?
(She cuts her own hand on the screen) p. 73
64. How is Jen able to go out shopping with her mom?
(She has a forged shopping pass that claims she is her mom's niece) p. 76-77
65. How was Jen able to determine that Luke did not exist?
(She took his fingerprint off the wall, scanned it on the computer, and went to the national file of fingerprints and found that Luke's did not exist) p. 78
66. On his second visit, what food items did Luke eat at Jen's home that was considered illegal?
(potato chips and soda pop) p. 79-80
67.What type of food did Luke's family eat that Jen's family rarely eats?
(meat) p. 80
68. Why did the Government pass/enact the Population Law?
(It was afraid that the country would run out of food if the population kept growing) p. 82
69. According to Jen's step-dad, is there a problem with lack of food?
(NO. There is plenty of food but it is not distributed properly) p. 83
70. Why is Jen organizing the rally?
(to stop the Population Law and allow shadow children to have the same rights as everyone else) p. 83
71. Who are Carlos, Sean, Yolanda, and Pat?
(other shadow children that Jen talks to on a computer chat room) p. 85-86
72. What is the password to get on the shadow children's chat room?
("free") p. 88
73. What was the name of the book which Jen gave Luke to read that explained the reasons why the Population Law was put into effect?
("The Population Disaster") p. 89, 91-92
74. What is growing plants indoors, without soil, just using water and special minerals called?
(hydroponics) p. 96
75. What were the shadow children talking about in the chat room that got Jen angry and riled up?
(fake ID's) p. 96-98
76. Who said, "I think people just have different ways of expressing what they feel. Those kids make jokes and complain. You run around screaming your head off and tackling people"?
(Luke) p. 98
77. On looking at the characteristics of each member of his family, what did Luke come to realize?
(He dealt with hiding better than anyone else in his family would) p. 99
78. In February, Mr. Garner got a letter form the Government forbidding him to do what?
(trying to grow anything indoors/hydroponically) p. 100
79. When Jen was little, her mom used to take her to what kind of group?
(a play group for all third children. All the children were Government official's kids) p. 102
80. When Luke's dad was little, he had a dog named what?
(Bootsy) p. 103
81. When Luke's dad was little, he had a cat named what?
(Stripe) p. 103
82. Why did the Government make pets illegal?
(Pets take away food needed for humans) p. 103
83. Who put up posters discouraging women from getting pregnant?
(the Government) p. 103-104
84. What sport did Luke's brother, Mark, really enjoy playing?
(basketball) p. 106
85. Where are the shadow children planning to have their rally?
(in front of the President's house) p. 107
86. How did Jen eliminate the possibility of the Population Police finding them en route to the rally in the capital?
(She hacked into the national employee staffing schedule and changed it) p. 108
87. Where did Jen hid the papers about the rally?
(under the couch) p. 109
88. Who said, "When you don't have to hide anymore, even years from now, there'll always be some small part of you whispering, 'I don't deserve this. I didn't fight for it. I'm not worth it''?
(Jen) p. 111
89. Who said, "Hope doesn't mean anything. Action's the only thing that counts."
(Jen) p. 113
90. Who said, "It's people like you who change history. People like me - we just let things happen to us?"
(Luke) p. 117
91. When was the only time Jen came to Luke's house?
(the night before the rally) p. 117-18
92. What does Luke do when he cannot find Jen in her home after the rally?
(He goes on the computer to the shadow children chat room) p. 124
93. Who catches Luke in Jen's house after the rally?
(her dad) p. 125
94. Who said, "Stop Jen? That's like trying to stop the sun?"
(Luke) p. 127
95. What happened to Jen and all the 39 shadow children at the rally?
(They were shot/killed by government officials) p. 128
96. Due to his logging on the shadow children's chat room, who has been alerted about Luke?
(the Population Police) p. 130
97. What is Mr. Talbot willing to do for Luke?
(get him a fake ID) p. 131
98. Who does Jen's dad work for?
(the Population Police) p. 131
99. What natural disaster led to the totalitarian government rule in Luke's world?
(famines) p. 135
100. Who is the leader who brought in the Population Law and totalitarian government?
(General Sherwood) p. 135, 137
101. Where does Mr. Talbot tell Luke to hide when the Population police show up at the house?
(in a closet) p. 138
102. What is Mr. Talbot's name?
(George) p. 138
103. How does Mr. Talbot cover up Luke's mistake?
(He tells the Population Police that he was continuing his sting operation in illegal chat rooms by pretending he was a third child who missed the rally?) P. 139
104. After the Population Police leave the Talbot home, why do Mr. Talbot and Luke write notes to each other rather than talking?
(The house is bugged) p. 142
105. What did Mr. Talbot bribe the Population Police with to get them to leave his house?
(fur coats) p. 143
106. What is Luke's new name at the end of the novel?
(Lee Grant) p. 147
107. What happened to the real Lee Grant?
(He died in a skiing accident) p. 148
108. Where was Luke going to?
(Hendrick's School for Boys, a private school as a year-round boarder) p. 148, 151
109. What story was devised as to how the Baron boy Lee Grant, was at the Garner's farm?
(Lee Grant ran away from home, got lost, and found refuge at the Garner farm) p. 147
110. what was unique about Luke's new name?
(It had the same initials. L.G., as his own name) p. 148
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Phonics Practice For Reading And Learning English
Among the Hidden (questions)
The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Among the Hidden Question Set 1
Among the Hidden Questions
Among The Hidden Vocab - Ch 16-18
TEST "Among The Hidden Vocab - Ch 16-18" and "Characters and Elements"
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Among the Hidden 6-10
Among the Hidden Vocabulary 11-15
"Among the Hidden" Ch.1-3 Vocabulary