5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John Brown's Raid
- Frontiers of Inclusion/Exclusion
- Mr. Polk's War
- treaty of guadalupe hidalgo
- "Bleeding Kansas"
- a texas oregon and california all became frontiers of exclusion after americans populated the area. Texas had enclaves with little outside communication. oregon sexual contact w natives/ fur trading post
- b oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts
- c proslavery poeple from missouri voted in kansas northerners came soon became violent 1856 proslavery burned and looted lawrence and then john brown led raid
- d 1848 mexico gave up land north of rio grande alta california and new mexico
- e whigs critics questioned border incedent accused polk of misleading congress and starting unnecessary war northerners thought it was a plot to expand slaverry wondered why polk settled for part of oregon but went to war for mexico slave. polk planned most of the war even though he hadnt been in the military
5 Multiple choice questions
- northern man with southern principles supreme court? dred scott? idont thinks so. president accused of interfearing w/ dred scott case
- because lincoln was elected south lef union. south didnt want to become a perminate minority in politics dec 20 1860 south carolina voted to sucede and other states followed thought that there would be no violenece
- annexed by john tyler last act as president van buren didnt do anything december 1845 texas became 15th slave state
- texas free from mexico but not a state????
- american farmers poured into oregon b/c free land and patriotism became the first perminate settlers
5 True/False questions
orgeon treaty → polk compromised and in 1846 treaty with the 49th parallel. gave britain vancouver
freesoil party → in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south
Panic of 1857 → banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
Kansas-Nebraska Act → anti immigration party formed from the wreckage of the whig party and some dis affected northerrn democrates 1854. came from nativism. only select native born protestants pledged to never vote for a catholic. said i know nothing when questioned about a belief.
Uncle Tom's Cabin → book writted by harriot breecher stowe in 1851was about slave's life under cruel master