5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Republican Platform
- John Brown's Raid
- Kansas-Nebraska Act
- Lone Star Republic
- Lecompton Constitution
- a 1854 created kansar and nebraska territories but left slavery up to residents repealed missouri compromise led to bleedin kansas
- b proslavery draft 1857 by kansas teritorial delegates elected under questionable circumstances rejected by 2 govenors supported by buchanan and devisivly defeated by congress
- c oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts
- d texas free from mexico but not a state????
- e strongly to the economic self-interest of the northerners and westerners. called for no slavery in free territories protective tarrif free land for homesteaders and internal improvements to encourage western settlement railraod to pacific. got lincoln to run for president for republicans
5 Multiple choice questions
- in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south
- anti immigration party formed from the wreckage of the whig party and some dis affected northerrn democrates 1854. came from nativism. only select native born protestants pledged to never vote for a catholic. said i know nothing when questioned about a belief.
- john o'sullivan belief that americans had the god given right to expand superceeded other laws
- banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
- comanche indians and mexicans ricos y vaqueros good with horses mexicans wanted to increase buffer between them and natives so granted the austins land for americans to settle KEEP GOING!!!!!
5 True/False questions
Texas Annexation → annexed by john tyler last act as president van buren didnt do anything december 1845 texas became 15th slave state
Political Support for Expansionism → march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
Mr. Polk's War → whigs critics questioned border incedent accused polk of misleading congress and starting unnecessary war northerners thought it was a plot to expand slaverry wondered why polk settled for part of oregon but went to war for mexico slave. polk planned most of the war even though he hadnt been in the military
Dred Scott Decision → march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
Frontiers of Inclusion/Exclusion → texas oregon and california all became frontiers of exclusion after americans populated the area. Texas had enclaves with little outside communication. oregon sexual contact w natives/ fur trading post