5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Know-Nothing Party
- Frontiers of Inclusion/Exclusion
- Texas Annexation
- James Buchanan
- a northern man with southern principles supreme court? dred scott? idont thinks so. president accused of interfearing w/ dred scott case
- b texas oregon and california all became frontiers of exclusion after americans populated the area. Texas had enclaves with little outside communication. oregon sexual contact w natives/ fur trading post
- c anti immigration party formed from the wreckage of the whig party and some dis affected northerrn democrates 1854. came from nativism. only select native born protestants pledged to never vote for a catholic. said i know nothing when questioned about a belief.
- d annexed by john tyler last act as president van buren didnt do anything december 1845 texas became 15th slave state
- e antiimmigration feelings as a result of the break up of the whig party. in reaction to most immigrants voting democrat(because of whig hostility/antiblack prejudices)
5 Multiple choice questions
- because lincoln was elected south lef union. south didnt want to become a perminate minority in politics dec 20 1860 south carolina voted to sucede and other states followed thought that there would be no violenece
- banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
- cained charles sumner in senate becuase sumner gave an anislavery speech same time as bleeding kansas
- coined by james k polk suggested that the us wpuld go to war if it didnt get control of the territory south of 54 40 noth latitude. but polk compromised and in 1846 treaty with the 49th parallel
- Polk pres 1845-49, democrates slave owners
5 True/False questions
Manifest Destiny → john o'sullivan belief that americans had the god given right to expand superceeded other laws
"Bleeding Kansas" → proslavery poeple from missouri voted in kansas northerners came soon became violent 1856 proslavery burned and looted lawrence and then john brown led raid
Government & Development of the West → 1848 mexico gave up land north of rio grande alta california and new mexico
treaty of guadalupe hidalgo → march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
"All Mexico" Movement → proslavery poeple from missouri voted in kansas northerners came soon became violent 1856 proslavery burned and looted lawrence and then john brown led raid