5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- treaty of guadalupe hidalgo
- Mr. Polk's War
- John Brown's Raid
- Republican Platform
- Texas Settlement
- a strongly to the economic self-interest of the northerners and westerners. called for no slavery in free territories protective tarrif free land for homesteaders and internal improvements to encourage western settlement railraod to pacific. got lincoln to run for president for republicans
- b whigs critics questioned border incedent accused polk of misleading congress and starting unnecessary war northerners thought it was a plot to expand slaverry wondered why polk settled for part of oregon but went to war for mexico slave. polk planned most of the war even though he hadnt been in the military
- c comanche indians and mexicans ricos y vaqueros good with horses mexicans wanted to increase buffer between them and natives so granted the austins land for americans to settle KEEP GOING!!!!!
- d 1848 mexico gave up land north of rio grande alta california and new mexico
- e oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts
5 Multiple choice questions
- antiimmigration feelings as a result of the break up of the whig party. in reaction to most immigrants voting democrat(because of whig hostility/antiblack prejudices)
- coined by james k polk suggested that the us wpuld go to war if it didnt get control of the territory south of 54 40 noth latitude. but polk compromised and in 1846 treaty with the 49th parallel
- 1854 created kansar and nebraska territories but left slavery up to residents repealed missouri compromise led to bleedin kansas
- cained charles sumner in senate becuase sumner gave an anislavery speech same time as bleeding kansas
5 True/False questions
freesoil party → founded in 1840 by abolitionists very against slavery wanted to prohibit slave states fron entering union end slavery in district of columbia and abolish interstate slave trade wanted to deny all slave holders office and forbid slave labor on federal construction kinda popular in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south first anti slavery political party formed in 1840
Lecompton Constitution → proslavery draft 1857 by kansas teritorial delegates elected under questionable circumstances rejected by 2 govenors supported by buchanan and devisivly defeated by congress
Texas Annexation → comanche indians and mexicans ricos y vaqueros good with horses mexicans wanted to increase buffer between them and natives so granted the austins land for americans to settle KEEP GOING!!!!!
Dred Scott Decision → march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
Panic of 1857 → banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.