5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- oregon fever
- Texas Settlement
- freesoil party
- Know-Nothing Party
- Government & Development of the West
- a comanche indians and mexicans ricos y vaqueros good with horses mexicans wanted to increase buffer between them and natives so granted the austins land for americans to settle KEEP GOING!!!!!
- b ...
- c in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south
- d anti immigration party formed from the wreckage of the whig party and some dis affected northerrn democrates 1854. came from nativism. only select native born protestants pledged to never vote for a catholic. said i know nothing when questioned about a belief.
- e american farmers poured into oregon b/c free land and patriotism became the first perminate settlers
5 Multiple choice questions
- founded in 1840 by abolitionists very against slavery wanted to prohibit slave states fron entering union end slavery in district of columbia and abolish interstate slave trade wanted to deny all slave holders office and forbid slave labor on federal construction kinda popular in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south first anti slavery political party formed in 1840
- because lincoln was elected south lef union. south didnt want to become a perminate minority in politics dec 20 1860 south carolina voted to sucede and other states followed thought that there would be no violenece
- banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
- northern man with southern principles supreme court? dred scott? idont thinks so. president accused of interfearing w/ dred scott case
- oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts
5 True/False questions
"Bleeding Kansas" → proslavery poeple from missouri voted in kansas northerners came soon became violent 1856 proslavery burned and looted lawrence and then john brown led raid
Zachary Taylor → war hero elected 1848 slaveholoder but didnt want to expand slavery whigs when van buren ran he got enough votes to keep cass lost and taylor won died before term complete
Compromise of 1850 → banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
Frontiers of Inclusion/Exclusion → march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
Political Support for Expansionism → annexed by john tyler last act as president van buren didnt do anything december 1845 texas became 15th slave state