Strategic 2 most powerful insights:
families often perpetuate own problems thru their own actions; Directives can bring about sudden change
Strategic therapy grew out what theory of who's what project?
Communication theory, Bateson's, schizophrenia project
Three things Milan group was known for
helping eating disorders, positive connotations, the dirty games people play
Two Axioms of Strategic?
People are always communicating; all messages have REPORT and COMMAND functions
3 parts to MRI approach
1. ID + feedback loops that maintain probs 2. Determine rules that support these interactions 3. Find way to change rules to interrupt prob maintaining behavior
Normal Family Development 3 views
MRI-avoided positions of how family should be Milan- neutrality Haley- clear boundaries and hierarchies
According to Communications theory, the essential function of symptoms is?
To maintain homeostatic equilibrium of family systems
3 explanations for how problems develop (haley & Milan embraced all three)
1. cybernetics; + feedback loops (MRI) 2. Structural: incongruous hierarchies 3. Functional: symptoms serve functions for the system
Goals of MRI assessment/therapy?
1. ID PP 2. ID attempted solutions 3. understand unique language of client
Haley's 3 steps assessment?
1. define PP 2. cross-generational coalitions 3. interpersonal payoff of problem behavior
Milan wanted to?
1. outwit resistance (tell them to keep doing what they're doing) 2. focused on behavior not beliefs 3. therapist responsible for change
6 step MRI model:
1. intro to treatment setup 2. define PP 3. what's the behavior that's maintaining PP 4. set goals for treatment 5. making behavioral interventions 6. termination
designed to decenter clients by seeing themselves in relation to others/ context from other perspectives
What stage in Haley/Madanes asks each person their perspective and looked for clues re: triangles and hierarchy?
What stage do Haley/Madanes look for coalitions/hierarchy, and F discusses POV amongst themselves?
Milan Model 5 parts
presession (initial hypo) , session (modify or verify hypo) , intersession (team therapists meet) , intervention (team therapists go back to F and present interventions) , postsession discussion (team remeets and plans/discusses)