Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 1: New World Beginnings, 33,000 B.C. - A.D. 1768
Terms in this set (15)
- The modern form of political society that combines centralized government with a high degree of ethnic and cultural unity. "No dense concentrations of population or complex nation-states...existed in North America...."
- the form of society in which family line, power, and wealth are passed primarily through the female side. "...many North American native peoples, including the Iroquois. developed matrilinear cultures...."
- An alliance or league of nations or peoples looser than a federation. "The Iroquois Confederacy developed the political and organizational skills...."
- Concerning the earliest origin of things. "...the whispering, primeval forests...."
- A lengthy story or poem recounting the great deeds and adventures of a people and their heros. "...their discovery was forgotten, except in Scandinavian saga song."
- In trading systems, those dealers who operate between the original buyers and the retail merchants who sell to consumers. "Muslim middlemen exacted a heavy toll en route."
- A small vessel with a high deck and three triangular sails. "...they developed
- A large-scale agricultural enterprise growing commercial crop and usually employing coerced or slave labor. "They build up their own systematic traffic in slaves to work the sugar plantations...."
- A naturally evolved network of relations among organisms in a stable environment. "Two ecosystems...commingled and clashed when Columbus waded ashore."
- Concerning the general characteristic of a given population, including such factors as numbers, age, gender, birth and death rates, and so on. "... a demographic catastrophe without parallel in human history."
- A Spanish conqueror or adventurer in the Americas. "Spanish conquistadors (conquerors) fanned out across...American continents."
- An economic system characterized by private property , generally free trade, and open and accessible markets. "...the fuel that fed the growth of the economic system known as capitalism."
- The Spanish labor system in which persons were help to unpaid service under the permanent control of their masters, though not legally owned by them. "...the institution known as encomienda."
- A person of mixed Native American and European ancestry. "He intermarried with the surviving Indians, creating a distinctive culture of mestizo...."
- A medium sized subunit of territory and governmental administration within a larger nation or empire. "The proclaimed the area to be the province of New Mexico...."
Sets found in the same folder
Chapter 2: The Planting of English America, 1500-1…
Chapter 31: Progressivism and the Republican Roose…
Chapter 32: Wilsonian Progressivism at Home and Ab…
Chapter 3: Settling the Northern Colonies, 1619-17…
Sets with similar terms
AP US History Chapter 1 (copied from study guide)
APUSH Chapter 1 Terms
Mrs. Golden Unit One Vocab
Period 2: 1607-1754
Other sets by this creator
Unit 1- Foundations
Chapter 30: American on the World Stage, 1899-1909
Chapter 29: The Path of Empire, 1890-1899
Chapter 28: The Revolt of the Debtor 1889-1900