Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 28: The Revolt of the Debtor 1889-1900
Terms in this set (10)
- To utilize the technique of obstructing legislation by tactics such as making long speeches and introducing irrelevant amendments. "...the majority should legislate...and not be crippled by a filibustering minority."
- An overwhelming majority of votes for one side in an election. "The congressional landslide of 1890 reduced the Republican membership of the House..."
- Those whom a lawyer or similar agent is engaged to represent and serve. "...after hobnobbing with his wealthy clientele, [he] had become increasingly conservative."
- Any form of money that must be accepted in payment for goods purchased or for repayment of debt. "...the Treasury was required to issue legal tender notes..."
- Precious metals in their raw form, before they are coined. "...the Treasury was required to issue legal tender notes for the silver bullion that it bought."
- In finance, the portion of money held back from circulation by a bank or treasury, which provides backing for its notes or loans. "...the gold reserve sank to a dismaying $41 million."
- The legalized concurrent use of two precious metals as currency at a fixed ratio of value. "...the platform...came out for international bimetallism..."
- An unaccountable sum of money available for questionable to corrupt purposes. "He...piled up an enormous 'slush fund' for a 'campaign of education.'..."
- A state of balance between competing forces or interests. "The third party system was characterized by the precarious equilibrium between Republicans and Democrats..."
- Someone who promotes an interest or cause before a political body, often for pay. "...not high enough to satisfy the paunchy lobbyists..."
Sets found in the same folder
Pageant - CH 28: America On the World Stage
Chapter 24: Politics in the Gilded Age, 1869-1889
Chapter 25: Industry Comes of Age, 1865-1900
Chapter 26: America Moves to the City, 1865-1900
Sets with similar terms
MONEY, BANKING, & MONEY SUPPLY L5
ECON LESSON #11
chapter 10 game questions
Other sets by this creator
Unit 1- Foundations
Chapter 32: Wilsonian Progressivism at Home and Ab…
Chapter 31: Progressivism and the Republican Roose…
Chapter 30: American on the World Stage, 1899-1909