School and Occupational Health Nursing - Final
Terms in this set (12)
what strategies can nurses use to demonstrate their effectiveness in school settings?
1. data collection
2. write IHP's, nursing diagnoses, care plans
3. direct care for students
besides direct caregiver, what other roles does the school nurse fulfill?
2. case manager
3. consultant with kids, family, faculty
what responsibilities and liabilities does the school nurse carry when administering medications in the school?
1. 5 rights
3. packaging meds for transport
5. storing meds
6. consulting drug book
what responsibilities and liabilities does the school nurse have when a health assistant is administering medications?
- accountability for outcomes
- supervise administration of meds
how are IHP's and IEP's different?
- IHP is specific to health needs in education
- IEP tailors education to children's individual needs
what information is included in these documents?
- IHP - modifications in school setting for health needs, nursing diagnoses, plans of care
- IEP - goals, plans of teaching, goal time frame, methods of testing
Who are these written for?
- DM, asthma, cystic fibrosis, severe allergies, learning disabilities
Occ health nurse, large company. Manager called reporting several people with chickenpox. What should occ health nurse do?
- educate - training, vaccines
- screenings, prompt evaluation and treatment
- these are all SECONDARY because it was already an "at risk" population
is care of chronic disease a role of the occ health nurse?
yes, employees may have chronic diseases that affect them at workplace
what diseases would be of concern in workplace?
- bone disorders
what strategies can be implemented to improve the health of the workforce?
- primary - education to prevent illness/injury
- health plans in place for obese - tertiary
what nursing role is involved when approached by employee with role overload?
- screening - depression, suicide
- referral agent - EAP referral