5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- trichuris suis and strongyloides ransomi
- oxyuris equi
- a affects all ages. May cause anal pruritis, rubbing bum, broken tail hairs, rat tail.
- b adult flies are transversely striped and look similar to bees, no mouth parts. Larvae 1-2 cmc in length, yellowish or red-brown with transverse segmentation and short bristles.
- c causes CNS signs such as ataxia, weakness, stumbling, etc. Has a complex poorly understood life cycle.
- d pig whipworms.
5 Multiple choice questions
- adults are medium sized with prominent buccal capsule with teeth around its top and its base. Ova have a thin, smooth shell with few shells when passed in feces. Indistinguishable from small strongyle ova.
- ingest larvated ova. Ova hatches and migrates to the liver, heart and lungs. Coughed up then swallowed as mature adult.
- treat most equine endoparasites with these 3 dewormers.
- adults live in large intestine. They mate, males die and females move into the rectum. Horses ingest infected larvated eggs.
- treat with topical powders such as dri kill and louse kill.
5 True/False questions
equine lice → cause irritation which leads to rubbing and scratching and hair loss. Sucking lice can lead to anemia generally in young foals.
chewing lice → damalinia equi.
cyathostomes → adults in large bowel. Eggs pass in feces. 40 diff species.
ascaris suum → equine pinworm.
swine lice → treat with topical powders such as dri kill and louse kill.