Create an account
- the exact number of atoms that are present in each elements for one molecule of a substasnce
- the smallest particle of a substance that can exist and still have the composition and properties of a substance
Double Atom Molecules
- two or more atoms of the same element from a molecule
- 7 Diatomic Elements
ex) Ozone (3 oxygen atoms)
when metallic elements combine chemically with non-metallic elements...
one or more elemets is transferred to the non-metal
metals have a low...
-ionization energy (energy requiered to remove the most loosely held electrons)
- electronegativity (1, 1/2)
rating scate for electronegativety
- ranks atoms ability to attract electrons in this bond
- 0-4 (best electronegatively-- Fluroine)
- transfer electron for a stable octet
- crystal lattice (repeatin pattern in a solid phase)
Rules for writing Binary Ionic Compounds
1) the least electromagnetic element goes first (the metal goes first- cation ion goes first)
2) Assign ionic charges (look at valence structure)
3) Assign enough of each atom so the compound is electrically neutral
# of (+)= # of (-)
possibility types of Ternary Ionic Compounds
a) metal+ and PAI-
b) PAI+ and non-metal (ide)
c) PAI+ and PAI-
2 naming systems of ionic compounds of more that one oxidation numner (state)
1) Stock System
2) Latin Root- suffix
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together