5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Preston Brooks
- Draft riots
- Civil War
- Poll taxes
- a a war between organized groups within the same nation state. In response to the election of Abraham Lincoln as President of the United States, 11 southern slave states declared their secession from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America ("the Confederacy"); the other 25 states supported the federal government ("the Union"). After four years of warfare, mostly within the Southern states, the Confederacy surrendered and slavery was outlawed everywhere in the nation.
- b Democratic congressman from S. Carolina who beat Charles Sumner with a cane after his speech
- c was the period during which the United States began to rebuild after the Civil War, lasting from 1865 to 1877
- d don't want to be part of going to war, not everyone wanted to get rid of slavery in north or keep it in south
- e taxes African-Americans and other minorities had to pay to be able to vote
5 Multiple choice questions
- a name applies to the Kansas territory in the years before the civil war , when the territory was a battleground pro-slavery and antislavery forces
- Lower: Cotton
Border: part of Union but had slavery
- Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri
- extremely difficult tests African-Americans had to take gain voting rights
- Union general believed in total war, burned everything to ruin the moral of the people
5 True/False questions
Battle of Gettysburg → General Grant attacks In Mississippi, important because ½ of the anaconda plan was done, Union captured Mississippi river
Secession → the formal withdraw of state from the Union
Uncle Tom's Cabin → assisted former slaves and poor whites in the South by giving clothing and food and also set up 40 hospitals, 4,000 schools, 61 industrial institutes, and 74 teacher training centers
Bleeding Sumner → When Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts denounced "the crime against Kansas" in a widely publicized speech, a member of Congress from South Carolina, Preston Brooks, attacked him on the Senate floor and beat him senseless with a cane.
Contraband → Single Bloodiest day in the civil war, First time Lee lost, When the Emancipation Proclamation was written, made the war about slavery.