5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Asuka Period
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi
- Heian Period
- a Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
- b Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
- c (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
- d The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
- e Supreme military commander
5 Multiple choice questions
- Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
- The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
- Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
- The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
- Powerful family of regents in Japan that monopolized the regent positions. They dominated the government of Japan 794-1160; domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate.
5 True/False questions
Taika Reforms → The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
Ronin → Supreme military commander
Kofun Period → During the _____ period writing, culture, ideas, and governmental policies were all adopted from Korea. The population grew, a written language was established, and Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China. The Yamato family/clan became the most important family in the nation, and started the line of Japanese Emperors. The _____ period lasted from 250 - 538.
Bushido → Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living; "way of the warrior"
Seppuku → Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.