5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Alternate Attendance
- Minamoto Yoritomo
- Nara Period
- Heian Period
- a The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
- b First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
- c The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
- d Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
- e (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
- Masterless samurai
- Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
- Powerful family of regents in Japan that monopolized the regent positions. They dominated the government of Japan 794-1160; domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate.
- Religion located in Japan and related to Buddhism, focuses particularly on nature and ancestor worship.
5 True/False questions
Zen Buddhism → Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living; "way of the warrior"
Kampaku → The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
Seppuku → The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
Kami → The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
Shogun → Supreme military commander