5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sengoku Period
- Taika Reforms
- Heian Period
- a Attempt to remake Japanese monarch into an absolute Chinese-style emperor; included attempts to create professional bureaucracy and peasant conscript army.
- b The "Warring States" period that lasted from 1467-1590 during which the daimyo gain autonomous power and challenged the shoguns.
- c One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
- d Religion located in Japan and related to Buddhism, focuses particularly on nature and ancestor worship.
- e (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A sect that emphasizes enlightenment through meditation and stresses simplicity and discipline.
- Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living; "way of the warrior"
- During the _____ period writing, culture, ideas, and governmental policies were all adopted from Korea. The population grew, a written language was established, and Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China. The Yamato family/clan became the most important family in the nation, and started the line of Japanese Emperors. The _____ period lasted from 250 - 538.
- Masterless samurai
5 True/False questions
Asuka Period → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
Nara Period → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
Minamoto Yoritomo → First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
Oda Nobunaga → Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Toyotomi Hideyoshi → Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.