5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nara Period
- a Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
- b The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
- c Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
- d Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
- e Religion located in Japan and related to Buddhism, focuses particularly on nature and ancestor worship.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
- The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
- First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
- Masterless samurai
5 True/False questions
Kofun Period → (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
Sengoku Period → The "Warring States" period that lasted from 1467-1590 during which the daimyo gain autonomous power and challenged the shoguns.
Heian Period → (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
Fujiwara Clan → Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
Toyotomi Hideyoshi → Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.