5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Fujiwara Clan
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi
- Asuka Period
- a Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
- b The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
- c Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
- d Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
- e Powerful family of regents in Japan that monopolized the regent positions. They dominated the government of Japan 794-1160; domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Attempt to remake Japanese monarch into an absolute Chinese-style emperor; included attempts to create professional bureaucracy and peasant conscript army.
- During the _____ period writing, culture, ideas, and governmental policies were all adopted from Korea. The population grew, a written language was established, and Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China. The Yamato family/clan became the most important family in the nation, and started the line of Japanese Emperors. The _____ period lasted from 250 - 538.
- The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
- The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
- One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
5 True/False questions
Shintoism → Religion located in Japan and related to Buddhism, focuses particularly on nature and ancestor worship.
Sengoku Period → The "Warring States" period that lasted from 1467-1590 during which the daimyo gain autonomous power and challenged the shoguns.
Samurai → One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
Ronin → Supreme military commander
Minamoto Yoritomo → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.