5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- townshend acts
- olive branch petition
- new quartering act
- stamp act congress
- tea act
- a second continental congress still hopes for compromise; king george lll declares them in rebellion and sends more troops; british troops pull out of boston and retreat to Nova Scotia; patriots were the "underdogs"; british faced not the suppression of a rebellion but the reconquest of a continent; they had more of a will to fight- british did it for a job; king thought there was no need to compromise and that they were going to win (confused on which side king george was on)
- b (private homes in boston)
- c eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper
- d duty free import of tea from East India Company. 17 million pounds of unsold tea in warehouses in England. Parliament was corrupted by the people they were doing favors for. colonists opposed this act because it gave agents of the East India Tea Company a virtual monopoly on tea trade.
- e decides that england has the right to regulate colonies but could not have taxes for revenues. Form of legal opposition.
5 Multiple choice questions
- american printer, author, philosopher, and scientist
- closed to commerce until tea was paid
- required colonists to provide provisions and barracks or submit to the use of inns and vacant buildings for British soilders
- tax on all printed documents (newspapers, deeds, licenses; college diplomas, even playing cards)
- on christmas night 1776, Washington slipped across the Delaware River at Trenton (NJ) with 2,400 men and surprised the drunken Hessians, killing or capturing over a thousand of them with only six deaths.
5 True/False questions
advantages of the british → short supply lines (got supplies from other colonies; took less time than british) familiarity with area; george washington (smart man, had confidence in his troops) french helped them fight; willing to sustain war (fighting for their way of life; fighting for a cause rather than a pay check)
declaration of independence → enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
massachusetts governing act → town meetings only 1 per year, mass.'s council and law enforcement officers were appointed rather then elected
advantages of the colonies → short supply lines (got supplies from other colonies; took less time than british) familiarity with area; george washington (smart man, had confidence in his troops) french helped them fight; willing to sustain war (fighting for their way of life; fighting for a cause rather than a pay check)
Battle of Saratoga → Cornwallis surrounded by the French fleet and surrendered to Washington; Over 7,000 British and Hessians became prisoners; Added to setbacks in other parts of the world, the British decided to end the war.