5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- currency act
- justice act
- stamp act congress
- Battle of Saratoga
- quartering act
- a Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold capture John Burgoyne and 9,500 British; Because of the battle the French noticed the Americans were willing to fight and decided to join with the Americans; if it wasn't for the French, the British may have won the war.
- b required colonists to provide provisions and barracks or submit to the use of inns and vacant buildings for British soilders
- c colonies could no longer issue their own paper currency; whatever was in circulation was worthless
- d officials and British soldiers could not be tried in colonies- only in england and canada
- e decides that england has the right to regulate colonies but could not have taxes for revenues. Form of legal opposition.
5 Multiple choice questions
- stops stamp act based on opposition and protesting, reduced tax on sugar, and reserved the right of Parliament to make laws binding on the colonies
- eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper
- enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
- town meetings only 1 per year, mass.'s council and law enforcement officers were appointed rather then elected
- tax on all printed documents (newspapers, deeds, licenses; college diplomas, even playing cards)
5 True/False questions
lexington and concord → British soldiers were stealing jobs stationed after the proclomation of 1763. Soldiers had to compete with the lower class for jobs. Soldiers kill 5 colonists out of a protest mob and injure 8. Ironically townshend acts were repealed that day except tea (no telephones) two years of relative peace followed
advantages of the british → had the strongest navy in the world, had "manpower?" and had professional armies and mercenaries
ben franklin → duty free import of tea from East India Company. 17 million pounds of unsold tea in warehouses in England. Parliament was corrupted by the people they were doing favors for. colonists opposed this act because it gave agents of the East India Tea Company a virtual monopoly on tea trade.
battle of yorktown → Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold capture John Burgoyne and 9,500 British; Because of the battle the French noticed the Americans were willing to fight and decided to join with the Americans; if it wasn't for the French, the British may have won the war.
turning points → the american revolution became a global war; britain was fighting with America, France, Spain, and the Dutch. They were also fighting in India, the West Indies, and Florida; the British realized their empire was at stake.