5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- currency act
- advantages of the british
- Battle of Saratoga
- turning point of the war
- declaration of independence
- a Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold capture John Burgoyne and 9,500 British; Because of the battle the French noticed the Americans were willing to fight and decided to join with the Americans; if it wasn't for the French, the British may have won the war.
- b colonies could no longer issue their own paper currency; whatever was in circulation was worthless
- c had the strongest navy in the world, had "manpower?" and had professional armies and mercenaries
- d enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
- e on christmas night 1776, Washington slipped across the Delaware River at Trenton (NJ) with 2,400 men and surprised the drunken Hessians, killing or capturing over a thousand of them with only six deaths.
5 Multiple choice questions
- to analyze the causes of the American Revolution and understand the important events of the war as well as the role played by significant individuals during the conflict.
- required colonists to provide provisions and barracks or submit to the use of inns and vacant buildings for British soilders
- eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper
- petitioned the king for relief- (dominion theory) colonies were subject to crown but now Parliament (seperate realm). they liked the king better t han the parliament but disliked both. To seek peace.
- officials and British soldiers could not be tried in colonies- only in england and canada
5 True/False questions
massachusetts governing act → town meetings only 1 per year, mass.'s council and law enforcement officers were appointed rather then elected
boston tea party → government was trying to purchase their loyalty and passivity with cheap tea. a group of colonial patriots disguised as mohawk native americans boarded 3 ships and threw 342 chests of east india tea overboard. most of these patriots were making a profit on smuggling tea.
boston port act → closed to commerce until tea was paid
lexington and concord → this was the first fighting of the war, minute men in lexington formed a silent protest; the british advanced; a shot was fired; british shot and then changed with bayonets (8 dead, 10 wounded)
olive branch petition → second continental congress still hopes for compromise; king george lll declares them in rebellion and sends more troops; british troops pull out of boston and retreat to Nova Scotia; patriots were the "underdogs"; british faced not the suppression of a rebellion but the reconquest of a continent; they had more of a will to fight- british did it for a job; king thought there was no need to compromise and that they were going to win (confused on which side king george was on)