5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- townshend acts
- advantages of the colonies
- advantages of the british
- lexington and concord
- Peace of Paris 1783
- a this was the first fighting of the war, minute men in lexington formed a silent protest; the british advanced; a shot was fired; british shot and then changed with bayonets (8 dead, 10 wounded)
- b Britain now recognized America as separate; their boundary is farther west; Declaration of independence now takes effect; British abandoned North America for fighting at that time; Mississippi River was recognized as western border of the United States; Congress would not precent the British merchants from collecting debts owed to them by Americans.
- c eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper
- d short supply lines (got supplies from other colonies; took less time than british) familiarity with area; george washington (smart man, had confidence in his troops) french helped them fight; willing to sustain war (fighting for their way of life; fighting for a cause rather than a pay check)
- e had the strongest navy in the world, had "manpower?" and had professional armies and mercenaries
5 Multiple choice questions
- required colonists to provide provisions and barracks or submit to the use of inns and vacant buildings for British soilders
- tax on all printed documents (newspapers, deeds, licenses; college diplomas, even playing cards)
- it was the 1st major fight of the war, americans were laying to siege to Boston from high ground of Charlestown; took place at Breed's hill. Americans were at the top of the hill; muskets used were not accurate but could cause a lot of damage; they had to see the whites of eyes of enemies to shoot. Protest turned into fighting; bloodiest battle of the war.
- closed to commerce until tea was paid
- enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
5 True/False questions
alliance with france → most gunpowder in the first years of the war came from France; on Feb. 6, 1778 they signed to treaties: A treaty of Amity and Commerce (recognition as free from Britain) and a treaty of alliance.
declaratory act → colonies could no longer issue their own paper currency; whatever was in circulation was worthless
turning points → eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper
massachusetts governing act → (private homes in boston)
Battle of Saratoga → Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold capture John Burgoyne and 9,500 British; Because of the battle the French noticed the Americans were willing to fight and decided to join with the Americans; if it wasn't for the French, the British may have won the war.