5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- advantages of the british
- alliance with france
- second continental congress
- boston port act
- massachusetts governing act
- a assumed the role as Revolutionary government, the massachusetts militia that surrounded british held boston was adopted as the continental army. Fredrick von steuben taught them to fight. they were "regular people" all fredrick did was train them. Washington was the head of the continental army. To declare independance.
- b closed to commerce until tea was paid
- c most gunpowder in the first years of the war came from France; on Feb. 6, 1778 they signed to treaties: A treaty of Amity and Commerce (recognition as free from Britain) and a treaty of alliance.
- d town meetings only 1 per year, mass.'s council and law enforcement officers were appointed rather then elected
- e had the strongest navy in the world, had "manpower?" and had professional armies and mercenaries
5 Multiple choice questions
- form of extra legal opposition, organized mobbing to intimidate stamp agents and encourage them to resign, and adoption of non-importation agreements of English goods. In charge of the boston tea party and were the colonists rebeling against British.
- enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
- the american revolution became a global war; britain was fighting with America, France, Spain, and the Dutch. They were also fighting in India, the West Indies, and Florida; the British realized their empire was at stake.
- officials and British soldiers could not be tried in colonies- only in england and canada
- eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper
5 True/False questions
Battle of Saratoga → Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold capture John Burgoyne and 9,500 British; Because of the battle the French noticed the Americans were willing to fight and decided to join with the Americans; if it wasn't for the French, the British may have won the war.
one of the problems of the war → inability to control colonies, raise money, draft men, etc.
first continental congress → assumed the role as Revolutionary government, the massachusetts militia that surrounded british held boston was adopted as the continental army. Fredrick von steuben taught them to fight. they were "regular people" all fredrick did was train them. Washington was the head of the continental army. To declare independance.
results of bunker hill → it was the 1st major fight of the war, americans were laying to siege to Boston from high ground of Charlestown; took place at Breed's hill. Americans were at the top of the hill; muskets used were not accurate but could cause a lot of damage; they had to see the whites of eyes of enemies to shoot. Protest turned into fighting; bloodiest battle of the war.
olive branch petition → second continental congress still hopes for compromise; king george lll declares them in rebellion and sends more troops; british troops pull out of boston and retreat to Nova Scotia; patriots were the "underdogs"; british faced not the suppression of a rebellion but the reconquest of a continent; they had more of a will to fight- british did it for a job; king thought there was no need to compromise and that they were going to win (confused on which side king george was on)