Create an account
2. The way in which candidates attempt to manipulate money, the media, and momentum to
achieve the nomination is through
4. The specific goal of the presidential nomination game is to
win the majority of delegate votes in order to win the party nomination.
6. In states with caucuses,
supporters of candidates try to get elected as delegates through a pyramid of meetings.
9. Today, a majority of the delegates to the national convention are selected throughings.
10. The McGovern-Fraser Commission was set up to reform
the rules for selecting delegates to the Democratic National Convention
12. The work of the McGovern-Fraser Commission appointed during the turbulent Chicago Convention of 1968 was a reflection of concern over
elite control of the party.
have helped restore an element of peer review to the process of choosing a presidential candidate.
14. For a candidate, the most important and desirable result of the early nomination contests isy
doing better than expected, thus winning an image as the party's frontrunner and holder
18. Critics of a national primary argue that
no candidate would receive a majority, thus a run-off election would be needed.
19. The final major event of each party's national convention, during the last hour or so on the
fourth and final night, is the
acceptance speech by the presidential candidate.
20. Providing select information and a request for money to lists of people who have supported
candidates of similar views in the past is a frequently used political technique known as
21. Most political coverage by the media during a presidential campaign
deals with the campaign game: who's ahead in the polls, what candidate X's new
strategy will be, and speculationly be_o
22. The Federal Election Campaign Act
required all candidates for federal office to disclose all contributions made to their
23. Which of the following did the Federal Election Campaign Act NOT do?
provide public financing of House and Senate races
24. The administration of the campaign finance laws and the enforcement of compliance with
their requirements is handled by the
Federal Election Commissionsion.
26. Soft money is
money donated to parties rather than candidates, thus not subject to contribution or spending limits.
25. In Buckley v. Valeo (1976), the Supreme Court
struck down the part of the Federal Election Campaign Act that restricted the amount
individuals could contribute to their own campaign.
28. Defenders of PACs point out that they
tend to support those who agree with them in the first place.
5. One of the more meaningful functions of a party convention today is to
orchestrate a massive send-off for the presidential and vice-presidential candidates.
7. The presidential primaries are
elections in which voters in a state vote for a candidate, or delegates pledged to the candidate
13. Frontloading refers to
The recent tendency of states to hold primaries early in the calendar in order to capitalize on media attention.
29. The notion that canididates need to raise money to complete but that is not always necessary to outspend an opponent is called the
doctrine of sufficiency
8. Following the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968, the party chose to
open up its process of choosing delegates to the national convention in order to respond
to demands for greater inclusion from women, minorities, youth, and other groups.
3. Which of the following statements is FALSE?
Campains in the U.S. are more than twice as long as they are in mot other industrilied countries
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together